Yet another question about the writing sample

SamajChinta

Hi all,

I have been lurking around this forum for the last couple of months, finally joined as a member today, and am really looking forward to your advice as I start the application process (I would like to apply to PhD programs starting in 2014).

At the moment I have only one single- authored paper (my master's thesis) that could be submitted as a writing sample. However it does not quite reflect my current research as well as methodological interests (my thesis was qualitative, but I am keener on quantitative methods. And I do not have a sociology background)

I would have liked to have come up with a single-authored quantitative writing sample, but I am very busy at the moment, working on a number of potentially publishable papers (quantitative) with multiple authors.  

Since there is really no clear consensus on the importance given to the writing sample by adcoms, I am quite worried about my paper. Will the writing sample be considered just as proof of my ability to write a well-articulated research paper, or will it be used as an indicator of my research/methodological interests as well? Or should I have a quantitative paper ready, just in case?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

People apply cross-discipline so I doubt methodology would be a determining factor of anything. I really think the most important factor is that it is well written, sociological and provides an in-depth critical analysis of the findings. 

Edited by xdarthveganx

I think your sample will be fine.  I don't have a sociology background and used a sample that was not a "sociology" paper.  It was related to my research interests as far as general topic, but it was basically a policy analysis.  I know that faculty read it because multiple people brought it up to me at visits, but always in a positive "that's interesting!" kind of way.  So, I don't think the fact that it wasn't a sociological paper, or related to my methodological interests, had any bearing on its reception.  I do think it helped me, coming from a non-sociological background, to be able to show that I at least had experience dealing with the subject matter, but I would say the SOP is much more of an indicator of your research interests.  The sample could supplement that, but I don't think they care if your sample isn't "related" to your interests.

I wouldn't worry that your writing sample doesn't precisely match up with your interests--IMO the the point of the sample is just to prove that you're comfortable writing academically and know how to develop a compelling argument. Be advised, though: maximum page limits for the sample can vary widely from program to program (I've seen as low as 15 pages), but I doubt anybody's going to accept an entire MA thesis (60+ pages, I assume?). You'll probably have to condense your thesis down into something more manageable.

The writing sample does not have to align with your current research interests, but it should suggest an ability to conduct research and clearly demonstrate an ability think critically about a topic, construct a cogent argument, write well, etc. You don't necessarily need to retool your thesis; a chapter or two, depending on length requirements, will suffice. Along with your submission, you can provide a brief explanation regarding the submission (I suggest no more than half a page), with reading suggestions or helpful background information. Some people submit their entire thesis, but direct the committee to a specific section/chapter. As for length, when in doubt, contact the director of graduate studies.

Good luck with your applications! It's an exciting, albeit taxing and sometimes frustrating, process.

My writing sample was used to evaluate departmental and disciplinary fit.  I don't agree that it's merely a demonstration of writing and critical thinking ability.  Though in cases where the sample clearly cannot serve to evaluate fit and affinity for sociology, it may reduce to a matter of writing and critical thinking where fit considerations are just taken out  of the equation without reducing impact.