ADVICE PLEASE

S.K.

I have the following problem:

I got accepted from school 1 and have until the 15th to accept.

school 2 (better school) is interested in me but they did not make a final decision yet (they told me that they will know in 1-2 weeks)

Now, I'm international with a Masters but it does not get recognized in the US and both universities tell me to start with a MA before my PhD.

My problem is that I really wanna go to school 2 but I don't wanna risk it, I don't have an official answer and no word about funding either... School 1 is funding me btw but isn't it offensive to say 'yes' and than 'oh sorry got better offer bye'

Edited by Erinnyon

Can you ask for an extension from school 1? Did you call school 2 and let them know you have a competing offer--sometimes that hurries things along.

It definitely would not be advisable accept school 1's admission and then go back and change your mind after you hear from school 2 especially since they are funding you... fields are small you don't want to burn any bridges.

I did let School 2 know that i have another offer.

I hope this will move things faster

uuurrrgggg this is so annoying. I can't say 'no' to school 1 and than get rejected from school 2 and left with no PhD.....

I don't think that School 1 can give me an extention i already know about that offer for a month now :S

I don't see any harm in changing your mind if you accept the first school. Schools know that students get multiple offers and I don't think it'll affect your career, particularly if you don't plan on necessarily having close ties with that school down the line. As long as there is no major risk (ie: significant money lost), I say why not. You should cover your basis as you wait for school 2, because you don't want to lose the funding you've already secured.

Yea you could do that, the only thing is after you accept school 1's offer/money you would have to get a waiver from them to attend school 2, in all likelihood they would give it to you because they don't want someone attending their program who would rather attend a different program. The thing is just that disciplines are small and while you may not work directly with school 1 they are likely to be your colleagues.

There is nothing that would prevent you from accepting school 1's offer and then declining if you get into school 2 legally or technically so you could do that you are right though in that it is offensive. I would really just try and press school 2 let them you they are you top choice and maybe convince school 1 that since you are international you just need an extra week or so. You should also ask school 1 if you were to get in would you get funding, if not you should just pick school 1. Also accepting both offers potentially takes a place from a wait listed student or someone who needs funding--which I know isn't your problem but still just bad karma. 

I agree with Sryahmay.  You have no idea where you will be working in 10 years, or where the currently faculty at that school will be working in 10 years.  Even if you don't work with them, you will likely continue to see each other at conferences or other professional events.  You don't want to start your career off with a bad reputation.  If you are being asked to make a binding decision by 4/14 according to the CGS resolution, it is absolutely frowned upon to accept and then change your mind after the deadline and you would almost definitely need permission from the school you had accepted to accept another offer.  But it's also pretty lame that School 2 can't cough up a decision when they have to be aware of the deadline situation.  If you really would prefer to go to School 2 and you have no funding from School 1, it may be in your best interests to wait and see what School 2's decision is.  It doesn't sound like you are that excited about School 1.

Edited by JungWild&Free

well school 2 did not answer me yet

so, i will probably say 'yes' to school 1 and stick with them. Its a nice university and they are funding me.

One thing i like more in school 1 is the location of it. It is a better school (rankings) but i have no infos about funding and i'm running out of time

Edited by S.K.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use