F1 visa interview

had mine today never asked to see any money (possibly because in I20 it says only 1k will be personal funds) asked me where I worked, and whether my mom had a tourist visa (which she did), very strange but hey all set

Does anyone have any experience of applying for an F1 visa after being in the States a lot? 

I will have spent almost 6 months in the US in the previous 12 month period (under the VWP).  I'll be applying for a visa for a fully funded PhD (will need to show 1.5k of personal funds) but slightly worried that having spent so much time in the US they will doubt that I'll leave after the program finishes.  (Which I fully intend to do.)

I go to the States a lot, in general I think their rationale is the opposite if you keep going in and out and you are applying for a visa the reality is that if you wanted to go there illegally you would have already. You should be fine