Like others, need advice

soc2013

Hi all, 

I'm between 2 programs, and could really use some insight.  Both school A and school B are ranked in the top 5 in my field, and I could live on the funding packages from either school.

I went to school A for undergrad, but I didn't study the field I'll be pursuing for my PhD (Sociology).  I didn't really like my experience there, but I've stayed in the area, and I've been there for 9 years.  So, I'm ready to move, but I do like the area and the weather.  School A outranks school B in all of my subfield areas of interest.  School A also has methods training not offered by school B.  Placements from school A seem to be in the exact positions I'm interested in.  

Meanwhile, school B has some fellowship and joint training opportunities that interest me.  It would be a new city, new people, and a fresh start.  But school B does not offer training in some of the methods that interest me.  They do, however, have a lot of faculty I could see myself working with.  I also found the current students to be more welcoming.  School B was also my dream school as a child, so I have this romantic idea of going there.  But by going there it seems like I will become a different type of Sociologist.

It seems to me that career-wise I should probably go to school A, but part of me really wants to go to school B.  Thoughts? Advice?  Thanks!!

I was in a similar-but-not situation, where I felt like I wanted to go to one school, but felt like I should go to the other. Chatting about it to others didn't really help me choose. I spent hours trying to convince myself that it would be fine if I went to the school I wanted to go to, but in the end I always found a way of coming to the conclusion that the other was the right choice. I chose the school I "should" go to and only time will tell how that will turn out. I, personally, am excited about the new learning experiences I'll gain at this school.

Anyways, the advice I'd give, is to try thinking as if you are going to accept one of them and then think about what the source of your nagging sensation is about declining the other. If that nagging sensation feels more valid for one than the other, then maybe you've found your choice?

Thank you!! Mulling over and applying your advice really helped. I think I am also choosing the school I "should" go to. Best of luck to you in your graduate studies!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use