Chicago MAPSS

anthcat

So, for those of us anthers who were rejected from Chicago's PhD program but accepted to MAPSS, what do you think? Great opportunity or consolation prize? Deal or cheat?

Have you been accepted anywhere else? And if not, are you considering accepting?

honestly, it's not an academic program but profitable business for UC. Only very few graduate did get through to the other disciplinary PhDs (2~3 of whole class, 2004~2006). Most students have difficulties to find proper advisers for their research interests. And curriculum design isn't friendly for those who decide to pursue his/her career in particular disciplines, on the other hand, it can be said that it provides comprehensive understandings for those who never experience any graduate training. And get your $40,000 ready for those who don't have funding~~good luck~

I personally did not apply to either program but after your post looked into the program and what others have said about it (both here on the gradcafe in past years and other sites). From what people say about the program it sounds as no one has gone from that program directly into their PhD program. So if you are looking at this as a possible stepping stone into a PhD program it might be a very expensive endeavor unless you are one of the few lucky ones who managed to snab up a full scholarship.

I know how desperate one wants to go off to grad school and how the rejections are devestating - going through that myself. Have you tried calling those who've rejected your application to get any feedback? If not, consider doing so. You may be surprised that in some of the cases it wasn't that you weren't a good applicant and that in a normal year you would have been an ideal candidate - its just that this is an extraordinary year with the number of applicants to programs, cuts in funding to programs that they have cut the number of incoming grad students in order fund students, etc. If you are really lucky, they may offer you advice on how to better prepare yourself to reapply next year. For me, I will be taking classes as a non-degree grad student to bolster my application - just a suggestion for an alternative to heading off to a program that might not be a good fit for your goals.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=13125&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Oh, I don't think I'm going to accept it. Just wanted a thread up since I know several of us were admitted there.

From the research I've done, I agree pretty much with what's been said. I doubt it would help me since I have well-defined research interests and am going for the PhD. Besides which, I simply don't have the money, even with full tuition coverage, to live in Chicago without working. The acceptance letter was so "sweet" in pointing out that although MAPSS students are not eligible for TAships, there are some jobs in the library for them. I love library work, but I doubt that's going to keep me from starving or freezing.

I am holding off on the final decision till I hear back from my adviser, who went to UC (PhD, of course). Since they offer travel reimbursement, it might be worth it just to go up there and make appointments to talk to some of the anthro faculty.

Not to disagree...but having graduated from MAPSS as well as having many, many friends (and a wife) who went through the program...I know that your statistics are off (3 to 4 per cohort?). MAPPS, I would venture to say, has the highest PhD matriculation rate of any first tier Social Science Masters degree in the US. Period. If you are competitive you will receive substantive funding. I can say without a doubt that MAPSS is an incredibly rigorous program. If you have good ideas and take advantage of given opportunities, you will have excellent access to profs. Anyhoo, I know you feel like all you got was second place, but I just wanted to stick up for MAPSS...a program that needs no defense. The actual stats speak for themselves. I encourage you to at least go to the open house.

I'm a Chicago alum twice over (and not from MAPPS), so let me just agree with the first poster. There's nothing special about getting "accepted" (ha ha) into MAPPS. It's a cash cow for the university and everyone knows it. Under no circumstances should anyone borrow that much money to get a master's degree, especially a generic one in "Social Sciences." If mommy and daddy are willing to pay for it, well, why not? But if you can't get a fully funded offer to pursue a Ph.D., you've got no business pursuing a Ph.D., and you'll most likely live to regret it (again, assuming you don't have a trust fund or other money you get from elsewhere but don't like to talk about because it embarrasses your sense of independence). Your chances of using the program as a stepping stone are bad, and I vote STAY AWAY.

Just to clarify, I am self-supported and have no trust funds squirreled away. Regardless of what I think of the wisdom of going for an interdisciplinary MA, even with tuition covered by the school, I don't think I can subsist for a year on a whatever part-time job I could get.

I did just find out though, that my undergrad adviser is a former MAPSS preceptor, :shock: so I will be hearing about the good points of the program at length today. I'm waiting to hear back on my last extant application before I make any decisions.

Wow! That is some real hate toward MAPSS. My silly opinion only meant to convey that nearly everyone I knew in my MAPSS cohort is either currently in a PhD program or chose not to pursue one. I suppose I thought that was worth while information to give someone who was accepted to the program. I think anyone who understands how the academic system works can make their own judgment concerning the following advice:

"But if you can't get a fully funded offer to pursue a Ph.D., you've got no business pursuing a Ph.D."

While our experiences may be different, I am uncertain how one who has not been through MAPSS can give such expert advice about the program's worth. I am sensing some bitterness...

I want to second Frederick Foxtrott's opinion. I, too, am a MAPSS grad. And, a VERY pleased one. I got from MAPSS exactly what I needed - the education, experience, and advice to get me into a PhD program. Not only did it help me, but I believe that everyone from my MAPSS year in anthro who wanted to pursue a PhD has been accepted into a PhD program - and VERY good programs to boot. That is pretty impressive, especially for a program which someone above (incorrectly) dubbed "not an academic program." Yeah, MAPSS brings the school a lot of money - but I don't know what is so wrong with that . . . in exchange, you are receiving an excellent education. In my experience as a MAPSS student, you get from it what you put into it. If you begin MAPSS with a defeatist attitude, you had either better snap out of it quickly (since it is a fast-paced 1 year MA) or expect not to succeed. On the other hand, if you enter MAPSS with the attitude that you are going to attack this beast with your head down and learn as much as you possibly can, I am pretty sure that you will enjoy success(es). Like Frederick Foxtrott mentioned, I would be particularly wary of listening to the advice of those who do not have first hand experience . . .

anthcat- I believe I'm in a similar boat. I applied to the PhD and was offered 2/3 tuition at MAPSS and am still waiting to hear from Columbia (boy do that take a long time!). My first reaction was a bit of outrage at the price tag (even including the scholarship). I felt like it was a crappy way of saying "You're not good enough for the PhD, but you can go here anyway if you pay us". I had also applied to the South Asian Languages and Cultures PhD program at Chicago and my application was forwarded to MAPH, which gave me 1/2 tuition. Similar reaction on that front, but at least David Levin, the director of MAPH, has sent me personal emails addressing my interests and concerns about the program. Not such luck on the MAPSS front. That being said, I have talked the programs over with several folks including my undergrad adviser who did his PhD in SALC and a UChicago undergrad alum who is currently in doing a phd in anth at Berkeley. They both cautioned me to put aside my gut reaction and think seriously about MAPSS. The Berkeley guy told me 4-5 folks in his program at Berkeley are MAPSS alums, which is interesting in light of bridgeport's comment (he also said that they're incredibly bright folks, for what it's worth).

At this point, I think I'm going to take the money they've offered to go visit for campus days, email the program to see if I can get them to cough up the other 1/3 of tuition, and evaluate my options after hearing from Columbia. I really can't stomach the idea of taking out loans to cover living expenses for a year and I definitely don't think it's feasible to work enough to pay rent while completing this program. If anything, Campus Days will hopefully be an opportunity to figure out where I fell short in my application this year so that I can try again next year.

Wow, thomasjnh, we are in precisely the same boat. I think I'll be seeing you at the campus days in Chicago. When I spoke to my undergrad adviser, it turned out he used to be a preceptor for MAPSS and he recommends it very highly as a "machine" to connect bright students with the contacts necessary to get into a top program. He said he sent a couple of students on to PhDs at Chicago, one to Columbia, one to Berkeley, one to UVA, and that all of his students who wanted to go to top PhD programs did, usually to their first choice and usually with generous funding.

My thoughts right now are that, given the feedback I'm getting from programs that rejected me, some of it was insufficient contact with prospective advisers, and some was the poor funding climate. I got compliments on my SOP. At least one place hinted that I was the next on the list of desired students when they came to the end of their funding. Now the contact point I could improve on next year without paying for Ms. MAPSS Preparatory School for Young Scholars :D but funding is a toss-up. If it gets worse, reapplying next year may not do me any good. So I wonder if it is worth the money (loan) to make sure I'm at the top of their fundables list in two years...

Still pondering.

I didn't apply to Chicago, but to add my $0.02, I did seriously consider doing a longer MA at a less well-known program, while working and taking out loans for living expenses in a major city. I think if the program is short and you can get through with, say, $10-15000 in loans, it's up there in cost with a good used car, not a house or a private college education. From that perspective it could be worth it, especially if their PhD placement rates are really good.

Yay! I'm happy to see that people are starting to shed their pre-conceived notions on MAPSS. It really is a great program.

To address the finances concerns that some of you have raised - I took out small student loans to pay for my living expenses (in the range of $15,000). I thought of this as a smart investment, which it has turned out to be. Also, I worked a little (about 10 hours a week). This made me a very busy person, but with careful time management it is wholly do-able. I also knew many people (perhaps even 50% of the MAPSS folks) that held part-time jobs (about 10-15 hours/week) to help limit their debt. So, you can work (a full-time job would be impossible, though), and you can still succeed in MAPSS. Expect to be busy :)

Also, someone mentioned asking MAPSS to increase their funding . . . it certainly cannot hurt to try, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I have heard of others who have attempted this, and it didn't work.

I too was accepted to mapss with 2/3 funding. I DID email them to try and get the other 1/3 and failed, haha. It was worth trying, right?

I'm currently living in India so I can't go to campus days!! I'm confused about what I should do. I've spoken to my undergraduate advisors as well as my potential advisor at U of C. The U of C prof was totally honest with me and admitted that mapss is a cash cow. He said that the students accepted have varying degrees of experience and talent, and that most people who do the program simply didn't have enough experience in anthropology. However, he also said that 1 or 2 students a year get into the phd program from mapss.

The problem is, assuming the economy doesn't radically improve in the next 6 months, I don't think the applicant pool next year will change drastically. What I mean to say is getting an m.a. may not be a bad idea. However, is it really worth risking about $30,000 in loans (remaining tuition and living expenses) to see if i can get in to the phd program after?

Like I said, I can't come back to the states for campus days, so I have to decide from India. I feel like if I just stay in India for another year or two my application would be stronger, even without an m.a. Alternatively I could do an m.a. IN India for about $2,000 instead of $30,000, and then my Hindi would be perfect...

Basically, I'm confused. I'm leaning towards staying in India...

anthrogeek:

what part of India? I would be really curious to hear about the kind of research you're interested in pursuing. As far as not being able to make it to the Campus Days, I think I'm going to go and I'd be more than happy to give you a report if I do. Have you visited the campus before? I was out there in December and it was pretty dreary. Hopefully April will be better.

anthcat:

I guess so! I'm still on the fence about it, but leaning heavily toward going. If there's time in between things, I'd be interested in meeting up and comparing notes/battle tactics if you're up for it.

In general:

I'm pretty opposed to the idea of taking out $30k in loans (I wonder how many folks they gave 2/3 tuition) for a single year. Several of my advisers and grad student friends are encouraging me to bite the bullet and do MAPSS, but I can barely manage the student debt I have right now. Also, from what I gather folks don't reapply for the phd until the year after they complete MAPSS. That means I'll have a year in between in which I'll have to find a job that makes enough to make payments on all of those student loans, and even then it's no guarantee of being admitted. Plus, that means not starting a phd program until what, 2011?

I think what the decision to pursue MAPSS or not might come down to is whether I did not get into an anthropology phd program because I don't have a masters in anthropology/generally don't have the skill set or experience they're looking for, or if I didn't get in because not enough folks in the department were interested in working with me. If it's the first, then I could do a 2 year MA somewhere else for about the same cost and get the same kind of experience and skills (I'm right down the road from UMass Amherst, in state tuition + fees for an MA are ~ $10k). If it's the second, then all MAPSS would get me is face time with UChicago professors, which would only really benefit my application to UChicago, and really there are other schools that I would be more than happy to attend. I've sent out a slew of emails asking for feedback on my application's strengths and weaknesses, the results of which will hopefully push me one way or the other. Mostly I just don't want to put all of my eggs in the Chicago basket so to speak and then spend the rest of my life regretting another $30k of debt. Okay, done ranting. Can you tell I've been spending way too much time mulling over this one?

As a MAPSS grad who was just admitted into my top-choice program with full funding, perhaps I can offer some insights.

First, I'll start with the positives. MAPSS undoubtedly provided the opportunity to explore my academic interests in a graduate setting - completely different from undergraduate. While I thought I was focused on my research areas in college, I saw these change almost completely over the course of my year at U. of C. I learned what it *meant* to commit to graduate work and, frankly, had to take a few years to decide if it was the correct path for me. Most students who enroll in MAPSS start out 100% sure that they want to pursue a PhD, yet the vast majority change their minds by graduation. Given that most of my friends who went to PhD programs within a few years of college eventually left their programs (and these were top, committed students), this is an EXTREMELY important point. PhD work is not for many people - and that's fine! - and MAPSS does an excellent job of guiding students, as such.

As for MAPSS students who decide to pursue PhD work, the Department is an unquestionable asset. This is the toughest year for admissions to date, and the majority of alumni applicants were admitted - with funding - to programs. The stats have been higher in the past. I'll admit that I doubted my decision to do MAPSS, due mainly to the costs involved (I received 1/3 tuition), but I'm now confident that I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now were it not for the program.

Now, the negative side: I hated it. I came from a liberal arts background (at a top school) with VERY strong theoretical grounding, and resented the pretentious idea that no one but U of C grads could understand, say, Marx. Please. Also, the school struck me as very conservative. I'm in Anthropology and am interested in applied/activist work, which is not at all popular (or terribly respected) at U of C. I couldn't stand the neighborhood (Hyde Park), but was lucky enough to have lots of friends elsewhere in the city (not involved with the school). I came out with a few friends, but, frankly, found the program to be quite isolating socially. Could have just been my approach to it, though.

In sum, I'd always questioned my decision to do MAPSS...until I got into my top choice school and thought things over a bit. I did learn a lot there, but at a price...but it got me a job (easy in Chicago with a U of C degree of any kind)...but I couldn't stand the school...yet some people love it!

If anyone wants more specific info, feel free to send me a private message and I'll write more. Hope this helps!