When you don't hear from a school...at all

Kayla123

I think this question could be appropriate in this thread... 

What happens if you have an offer (or offers), which expect their decision by april 15th, but you have other wait-listed schools that you wouldn't hear from until after april 15th? If you want a shot at those wait-listed schools do you have to just turn down your other offers and keep your fingers crossed, or accept, and then pay some kind of fee if you get in off a wait-list and decide to drop your april 15th acceptance?

What happens if you have an offer (or offers), which expect their decision by april 15th, but you have other wait-listed schools that you wouldn't hear from until after april 15th? If you want a shot at those wait-listed schools do you have to just turn down your other offers and keep your fingers crossed, or accept, and then pay some kind of fee if you get in off a wait-list and decide to drop your april 15th acceptance?

Personally, I'd contact the program on something like April 7th to inquire about waitlist status. I really would not want to wait until after the deadline for the possibility of a program saying yes versus accepting the offer already granted. I also don't think any reasonable person would be upset at you for saying yes on April 15th to meet the deadline and then declining the offer on April 20th when Top Choice University invites you to their program.

Would one even want to go to school that you barely go it? I already accepted one of my offers as I don't see myself at an institution that has waitlisted me.

I've thought about this a lot as well. It's like chosing between the girl that's crazy about you or the one that just decided she's willing to settle for you.

(At least, in my weird mind.)

According to this copy of the CGS (Council of Graduate Schools) Resolution that I received with an offer, students who have accepted an offer from a school and have left that acceptance in place past the April 15 deadline need to request a written release from the school they accepted at if they want to then accept a late offer from another school.

I guess it isn't law, but it is a standard of practice and keep in mind, the school whose offer you decide post-April 15th to decline is full of future colleagues and potential collaborators.  So yeah, it sounds like you can rescind your acceptance after April 15th but there is a procedure for it.  And I guess this implies that by Apriil 15th you should go ahead and accept your best offer even if you are still waiting to hear from your top choice.

You might be able to google a copy of the document.  It's titled the Council of Graduate Schools Resolution Regarding Scholars, Fellows, Trainees and Assistants (2009)

EDIT:  Why, yes.  Yes you can google that document. :)

Edited by Bren2014

I'm in the same situation also. I have an open application to a relatively small PhD program in economics. I am aware that they sent BOTH first round acceptances and rejections on March 5th, but I heard NOTHING.

I assume I am waitlisted, or that the email got lost in the aether.... lol

If waitlisted, should I email the school around March 20th asking about my status, and reaffirming my desire to attend if admitted? This is my first choice school.

I want OFF this waitlist. >.<

I'm in the same situation also. I have an open application to a relatively small PhD program in economics. I am aware that they sent BOTH first round acceptances and rejections on March 5th, but I heard NOTHING.

I assume I am waitlisted, or that the email got lost in the aether.... lol

If waitlisted, should I email the school around March 20th asking about my status, and reaffirming my desire to attend if admitted? This is my first choice school.

I want OFF this waitlist. >.<

There are many threads asking about this. The conclusion seems to be: go ahead and e-mail them.

You can reiterate your interest in working with your POI if you were in-contact with them before, or just ask the office handling admissions about your current status.

And obviously, don't e-mail them a bunch, obsessively! It sounds like this isn't an issue, though. :)

Hmmm.... so applications were due Feb 1st. FIrst round decisions went out March 5th. Is there such a thing as contacting them too soon, so as to seem impatient and desperate?

Am I over thinking this? =P

Q. How do I check my application status?
A. The Graduate School will notify you when a decision has been made. The department will not release any information over the phone or by email. Please do not inquire. 

Erh.... the website for the program does say this. @_@

Q. How do I check my application status?

A. The Graduate School will notify you when a decision has been made. The department will not release any information over the phone or by email. Please do not inquire. 

Erh.... the website for the program does say this. @_@

I don't think I'd contact them.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone faced this?

I am in a really weird situation, I got accepted into a program at the university got my admit letter too through their portal. I had a few questions so emailed them and its more than a week they haven't responded! Earlier to that they would respond within a couple of days. Emailed them again for a response as well as asking for a Fee structure document to apply for education loan, but they just aren't responding! And it will take time to get the sanction order! I thought after they agree to sanction I'll mail the acceptance letter!

What do I do? The deadlines are approaching! I will have to go through the Visa process too! Any suggestion?

Edited by moonyDdl

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use