UPenn vs. Columbia vs. Georgetown vs. USC. Opinions?

newyorker

Hey all,

I have been receiving application decisions for master's programs and the results have been good so far. It's just that some schools are driving me crazy with late decisions while others are rushing me to reply back. Well, I have mainly applied to graduate programs in biotechnology field but as someone in pursuit of field in medicine, I have applied to some others as well. I have been thinking and comparing options but your opinions would be helpful. Here are my options:

1. University of Pennsylvania, MS in Biotechnology.

2. Columbia University, MA in Biotechnology. (they have not yet made decision... says decision will be made later in the spring?)

3. Georgetown University, MS in Biotechnology. 

4. University of Chicago, MS in Physical Sciences with scholarship. 

5. University of Southern California, MS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

6. Case Western University, Masters in Medical Physiology

My top choices seem to be UPenn or Columbia. It's just that Columbia is so late in giving me decisions and I'm in the position of either dropping some schools or am thinking about just paying deposit first to at least UPenn.

P.S. If you have any specific preference for biotechnology in any of the schools, please share your thoughts.

Thanks

Hey, I applied to biotech at UPenn and Columbia as well! I'm also waiting for Columbia, but I'm very close to accepting UPenn's offer...

if you're deciding between the two I think you should keep in mind the differences: for Columbia, I'm pretty sure a thesis component is mandatory. At UPenn you can work in a laboratory on campus or do an off-campus internship, so you have that option. UPenn's degree is within the school of applied science & engineering so you have the opportunity to not only take courses like molecular biology, but also cell and tissue engineering and the curriculum has a strong emphasis on pharmaceuticals (there's quite a few pharma companies in the Philly area). Columbia's is mainly on the science side of things, like genetics, cell bio, immunology, etc. They both seem very flexible. Also, I think a nice bonus at UPenn is the ability to take a course at the Wharton school, which is an incredible opportunity. Overall I think where you go depends on what you want to do afterwards - from what I've seen, Columbia's MA in Biotech seems a little more geared towards people who are seriously considering a PhD in biotechnology. UPenn seems more for people who want to go into industry right after. So, it really depends on which one fits you better, because I think the two are quite different. 

I can't comment on your other schools as I haven't applied to them, sorry about that! But I would definitely read the curriculum and see which one is the best fit for you and your interests.

Edit: don't worry about the deadline. If you log in to your Grad Connect account, you will see this:

Q: What is the deadline for returning the enrollment decision form?
A: For master's applicants, you must submit your decision form by June 1, although we would greatly appreciate a response within 30 days - our priority deadline - of when the decision is viewed.

So you have until June 1st. They're not going to kill you for not replying by the priority deadline. Columbia will definitely release decisions by then. Don't worry about it!! 

Edited by yorkies

Thanks! and congratulations on your acceptance to UPenn! I actually dropped some schools and probably will decide between UPenn and Columbia. I was leaning towards UPenn heavily until a few days ago when I was looking through courses offered by both schools. While I would love to have that experience with Wharton and that opportunity for MBA is surely tempting with the preparation for the industry, I see myself as a science person so I have been thinking that the variety of science courses offered by Columbia may be suitable for me as well.

I'm going to wait out for Columbia but it's kind of frustrating when I want to plan ahead and get things like housing down (I have to either sublet or transfer lease for current place too) and stuff before I go abroad for the summer. I'm not sure if the wait will be worth it.... AHHHHHH LOL.

Thanks and hope you make a good decision as well! Let me know if you finalize your decision, we may both end up at UPenn! 

Congratulations to you too! Yes, those are definitely the most prestigious schools and if you're looking to get a job right after it'll probably be best to choose one of those two. I know, but Columbia's deadline was April 1st so I suppose that's why. I've had another offer that wanted me to reply by the 15th of this month so I know how you feel - applying for masters is very annoying because everyone seems to have different deadlines. I'll post here when I hear back from Columbia and make my decision! Good luck to you!! 

Hi there, 

I was reading your posts about your applications for Biotechnology MS. I am currently an undergraduate in the United Kingdom doing a Bachelor degree in Biomedical Sciences at one of the UK's top university,  and will be graduating next year. I was just wondering what kind of profiles (gpa, gre, professional background) you guys have for having being accepted at Upenn (congratulations btw!). I am also considering applying for these schools (columbia, upenn, JHU, USC etc) but I am unaware of what kind of profile these universities are looking for. Thanks for your help, this would be very useful!

Hi there, 

I was reading your posts about your applications for Biotechnology MS. I am currently an undergraduate in the United Kingdom doing a Bachelor degree in Biomedical Sciences at one of the UK's top university,  and will be graduating next year. I was just wondering what kind of profiles (gpa, gre, professional background) you guys have for having being accepted at Upenn (congratulations btw!). I am also considering applying for these schools (columbia, upenn, JHU, USC etc) but I am unaware of what kind of profile these universities are looking for. Thanks for your help, this would be very useful!

For me, I had no professional background or had any job related to biotech in any way. I did have quite a bit of research experience from doing various undergraduate research projects, and had one publication at the time of applying. However I wouldn't say that the research was really directly related to biotech - I majored in Evolutionary Biology, so I was doing stuff like population genetics studies and greenhouse experiments, but I did have some molecular laboratory experience under my belt. All three of my references were from profs that I did undergrad research with. I really made sure to emphasize my interests in biotechnology in my personal statement, and explain my future goals in the industry. My GPA was 3.86, and for GRE I had 163 V, 166 Q, and 4.0 AW. I wasn't thrilled about the AW mark (it's like 49%) but I didn't want to write the GRE again since I was afraid that my V and Q marks would go down, and anyhow I find that AW is probably the least important part of your application. Overall, grades don't matter too much - I would definitely focus on the personal statement and getting good references. Good luck!

• 2 years later...