Professional vs. Academic Recommendations

Hi all-

I'm applying to master's programs in urban planning this year and at the recommendation of another gradcafe user am trying to find out how recommendations are weighted in an urban planning "professional program." I don't have any professors I could ask for this and was planning on asking bosses to write my letters. Is it a death sentence for me to only have professional recommendations?

Also, one of my recommenders, who I happen to be quite close with, used to teach at a university and has an MA, PhD, and JD. I worked for him and wrote for him; could this count as academic since he can attest to my academic ability (by knowing me so well and seeing some of my work) even though I never took any classes with him?

Concerned...because simply cannot afford to take non-credit grad courses here in Boulder (University of Colorado).

Please share your opinions!

Thanks!

It's not a death sentence -- after all, urban planning master's programs are professional, not academic -- but I'd make sure to select people who can write specific and concrete letters. (To that end, make sure to give the letter writers as much information as possible, including drafts of your statement of purpose.) I reviewed just over thirty applications this year as a student reviewer in my current urban planning program, and noticed that employers tended to write positive but vague letters that didn't really help the applicants.