Georgetown SSP with 50% tuition or Denver Korbel with 100%? Is this obvious?

wohohow

Hi all, 

I intend to take my masters in Security Studies/International Security. I applied to Georgetown SSP, GW's Elliott and Denver's Korbel. I got in to all three, but only have funding from Georgetown and Korbel. That strikes GW off the list entirely. 

Georgetown's offered me 50%, which is great (and honestly more than I expected). Korbel's amped up its offer (originally 15k renewable) to awarding me the Sié Fellowship - it's 100% tuition plus a guaranteed RA position (great for covering living expenses). 

Most people I ask seem to find this an obvious choice - but don't agree on what that choice is! Some say Georgetown's the better deal: great school, great location, decent funding, and I can make up the rest either by getting an RA-ship when I get there, completing the degree part-time and working, or simply loaning the rest. Basically from a long-view, it's not a bad investment. On the other hand, others think that Denver is the obvious choice. It's a good (although not top-tier) program, the location isn't terrible for employment if I'm RA-ing anyway (which gets me more experience and more facetime with the professors, network-wise), and funding is excellent. 

I'm torn. Georgetown was absolutely my first choice, but the Denver offer is incredibly sweet. Thoughts?

Honestly the decision isn't obvious to me at all, though I didn't apply to either school. Maybe one program has something that really attracts you more than the other. Maybe you REALLY want to work in DC, then it would be obvious.

Either way I think you have great options and you can't really go wrong - good luck!

That's not an obvious choice. Personally I would choose Georgetown because I feel the location, the brand name, and the alumni network is probably worth it. But Korbel is a great school as well and I've got the impression that their International Security program is their gem and the highest quality concentration by far that they have at the school. So in terms of the quality of the courses/education, I don't think Korbel is far behind at all. Can't really say more than that. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and really think what you value but like seekay said, either way you will be fine.

I am definitely more on the MPA side of this forum and cannot speak much to IR, but that would be a no-brainer for me. Perhaps it is just the 30k in undergrad debt I have, but the fully funded offer seems incredibly ideal, even if it means you have to network harder if you want to end up in DC or abroad.

I'm applying for the SSP and other similar programs for Spring 2014. Do you mind posting your stats?

My stats aren't all that impressive. In a nutshell: 

• University: International student from south-east Asia, 3.2 cumulative GPA, double degree at a school that's highly regarded where I am but doesn't break the top 100 internationally (Major GPA something like 3.6 for one and 3.7 for the other). 
  • GRE: 168 Verbal, 158 Quantitative, 5.5 Analytical
  • Work experience: I'm getting into security from a humanitarian-type background. I've had two internships: one at the Save the Children regional office in Bangkok, and one at our country's embassy in DC. I've been working for over a year now at another major international humanitarian organization.
  • Languages: English and the national language (both fluently), and French (C1-ish reading/oral comprehension; B2 writing/speaking). My French drastically improved while studying abroad at SciencesPo Paris. Much of my current work is in French since I focus on operations in francophone Africa although I'm based in Asia. 

Honestly the decision isn't obvious to me at all, though I didn't apply to either school. Maybe one program has something that really attracts you more than the other. Maybe you REALLY want to work in DC, then it would be obvious.

Either way I think you have great options and you can't really go wrong - good luck!

That's not an obvious choice. Personally I would choose Georgetown because I feel the location, the brand name, and the alumni network is probably worth it. But Korbel is a great school as well and I've got the impression that their International Security program is their gem and the highest quality concentration by far that they have at the school. So in terms of the quality of the courses/education, I don't think Korbel is far behind at all. Can't really say more than that. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and really think what you value but like seekay said, either way you will be fine.

I am definitely more on the MPA side of this forum and cannot speak much to IR, but that would be a no-brainer for me. Perhaps it is just the 30k in undergrad debt I have, but the fully funded offer seems incredibly ideal, even if it means you have to network harder if you want to end up in DC or abroad.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I ultimately decided to go ahead with Georgetown. Don't want to knock Denver, but I feel that I'll get more stretched at GU than I would at Korbel - whether by the faculty, fellow students, or by the DC environment. Money-wise: I'm currently debt-free, my parents are willing to help (potentially the remaining half of my tuition), and with an RA-ship or other on-campus job my debt burden should be minimal. It's a risk, but I think it's a good one. :-)

*Edit: Since I'm an international student, I need all the help I can get to build a strong profile to be able to work in DC and abroad. Realistically, I can't rely on the mileage of my undergraduate degree anywhere outside my own country. Georgetown fills that resumé gap a lot better than Korbel does. 

Edited by wohohow

If the "job" factir is your reason do be carefulnor contact a few internationals before, at least from GPPI I spoke with 5 at the open house, all of them said that whilenthey did get great internships (more than one at the WB) none had a job lines up after graduation at least not in the US, one had their old job back in Japan, after asking if this was the case in general, they said yes, that career services was pretty useless for internationals and they did not know as well as the power point made it sound. In fact two of the students were really critical. Email them maybe the SFS is different but do be careful!

Thanks MPPgal! :-) Didn't mention this, but all the GU and SFS grads I actually know are international students (Mexican, French, etc) - almost all of whom are working in big international humanitarian outfits now in Europe, with a couple in Africa. I don't know whether to attribute that to their career services or just to their hustle, but doors opened for them, and I don't need to work in the US in particular. Come to think of it, I've not actually spoken to an American SFS grad...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. I ultimately decided to go ahead with Georgetown. Don't want to knock Denver, but I feel that I'll get more stretched at GU than I would at Korbel - whether by the faculty, fellow students, or by the DC environment. Money-wise: I'm currently debt-free, my parents are willing to help (potentially the remaining half of my tuition), and with an RA-ship or other on-campus job my debt burden should be minimal. It's a risk, but I think it's a good one. :-)

*Edit: Since I'm an international student, I need all the help I can get to build a strong profile to be able to work in DC and abroad. Realistically, I can't rely on the mileage of my undergraduate degree anywhere outside my own country. Georgetown fills that resumé gap a lot better than Korbel does. 

Glad to hear you were able to make a decision that you feel good about. Given all the factors you mentioned in your post, I think you definitely made the right decision (not that it matters what I think whatsoever!). Good luck!

Thanks MPPgal! :-) Didn't mention this, but all the GU and SFS grads I actually know are international students (Mexican, French, etc) - almost all of whom are working in big international humanitarian outfits now in Europe, with a couple in Africa. I don't know whether to attribute that to their career services or just to their hustle, but doors opened for them, and I don't need to work in the US in particular. Come to think of it, I've not actually spoken to an American SFS grad...
Yes In that case I think you are set Georgetown is definetly the big name outside of the US, you just made it sound as if it was a being in DC and geting a job. Good luck, Georgetown is awesome!

wohohow, if you wouldn't mind, I would be very interested to know how you made the connection in your SOP/application from humanitarian to SSP. I have a bit of a different background as well (renewable energy) - not a traditional military/security background, but really want to break into security studies. Any info would be appreciated!!

wohohow, if you wouldn't mind, I would be very interested to know how you made the connection in your SOP/application from humanitarian to SSP. I have a bit of a different background as well (renewable energy) - not a traditional military/security background, but really want to break into security studies. Any info would be appreciated!!

Hola! I didn't actually have a tough time providing the connection. Most of my work experience, although in the humanitarian sector, deals with providing assistance (either emergency or development-type) to victims of armed conflict. I wrote about how military/security objectives around the world have an impact on delivering humanitarian services (access constraints, partiality to 'terrorist' groups or unsavory governments (whether actual or perceived) or 'Western' political agenda, etc). At the same time, certain humanitarian solutions play a role in assuring/compromising security in volatile areas: refugee camps, for example, have been identified as potential recruitment sites for armed groups. I basically just drew the links between the two fields in my statement of purpose to show why knowledge of the security landscape is invaluable in fulfilling humanitarian objectives. I don't think of studying security as a career shift from humanitarianism, and I tried to let that come out... as much as 500-750 words lets you do, anyway.

I'm certain you could do the same with your energy background. There are courses on the relationship between energy needs and security that I've seen, although they don't solely deal with renewables (this one comes to mind http://courses.georgetown.edu/?CourseID=SEST-594). Nonetheless, it doesn't feel like a stretch of the imagination to link the two convincingly. I did a quick google and this came out: http://www.globalissues.org/article/595/energy-security; it looks like the sort of thing you could build a case on, especially if you can integrate lessons you've picked up personally from your work. Looks quite interesting actually... Hope this helps!