choosing between University of Oregon and University of Texas

I'm having to make a pretty quick decision at to which school to choose, University of Texas- austin or University of Oregon; Based on the programs of each, does anyone have any insight or experience in either department?

Thanks!

Rankings are probably a bit specious and debatable, but if there's a chance that you'll ever pursue a Ph.D., they may matter a bit. Austin is ranked #10 while UO is ranked #45.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong either way. It's a good idea to check out the program websites as well as the Austin thread here (though you've probably already done those things!). It might help to weigh the pros and cons of cost, funding, location, clinical opportunities, populations and settings you're specifically interested in, etc.

Congrats and good luck!

I'm in a similar boat, deciding between PSU and UT!  I got a pretty good opportunity at PSU to work in a professor's research lab that I'm really interested in (non-funded) but then found out I was accepted to UT.  I feel like the PSU program fits my interests a bit better, but UT also seems like an exciting opportunity I never thought I'd have.  I am considering pursuing a Ph.D later, so I am really having to weigh whether being at the higher ranked school or having a meaningful research background would be more important.  I also e-mailed a professor at UT whose work I am interested in and she told me I would have good opportunities there.  I'm really stuck!  For me, PSU would be a much more affordable option and would be a much easier transition, since I'm already here.  Have you had a chance to visit either school?  I'm trying to decide if spending a ton of money on a last minute trip to Austin would be worth it...

Good luck with your decision!

I'm in a similar boat, deciding between PSU and UT!  I got a pretty good opportunity at PSU to work in a professor's research lab that I'm really interested in (non-funded) but then found out I was accepted to UT.  I feel like the PSU program fits my interests a bit better, but UT also seems like an exciting opportunity I never thought I'd have.  I am considering pursuing a Ph.D later, so I am really having to weigh whether being at the higher ranked school or having a meaningful research background would be more important.  I also e-mailed a professor at UT whose work I am interested in and she told me I would have good opportunities there.  I'm really stuck!  For me, PSU would be a much more affordable option and would be a much easier transition, since I'm already here.  Have you had a chance to visit either school?  I'm trying to decide if spending a ton of money on a last minute trip to Austin would be worth it...

If you can visit without completely breaking the bank, I say go for it! I wasn't even able to make it out to UVA (even though the campus is only 70 miles from my home :rolleyes:) and had an incredibly hard time envisioning myself there because of that disconnect; although I'm thrilled to attend Boulder in the fall, I do regret not checking out UVA in person!

Yeah, I think we may be in similar situations.  Currently, I'm in the post-bac program at University of Washington, and won't be finished until the last week of August basically, so it will be quite a dramatic transition to finish finals and then quickly move to Austin.  Honestly, i don't know too much about the UT program except for it's bilingual certification.  I remember being interested in their research and lab in fluency.  I haven't been able to visit either school, so I've just been trying to glean what i can from their websites; University of Oregon has a brand new Speech therapy clinic, and they have mandatory practicums for school and medical environments with a straightforward approach to clinical training.  For the University of Texas, I can't quite paint the picture in my mind based on their website information.  I haven't visited either school and won't have a chance to.  

Are you a currently a student at PSU?  What type of research are you interested in?

Thank you and good luck to you also!

Rankings are probably a bit specious and debatable, but if there's a chance that you'll ever pursue a Ph.D., they may matter a bit. Austin is ranked #10 while UO is ranked #45.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong either way. It's a good idea to check out the program websites as well as the Austin thread here (though you've probably already done those things!). It might help to weigh the pros and cons of cost, funding, location, clinical opportunities, populations and settings you're specifically interested in, etc.

Congrats and good luck!

You also bring up a good point about research and rankings.  I'm leaning more on the clinical focus, though you never know when lightning may strike and you start to feel super interested in a particular aspect.  Thank you for your response!

I've spent the past two days visiting ut and I'm completely sold. If you are at all interested in bilingualism or second language acquisition it's a great program. If you are thinking more medical, they don't have a hospital which is a major weakness. Funding is also a weakness- they told me you might get it some semesters but not others and not to count on a ta-ship

Awesome!  I think their focus on bilingualism is great but my Spanish has been pretty much abandoned the last few years, so I'm not sure I should count on that making it worth it for me.  However, I'm bilingual in French/English and am interested in language acquisition.  My main interest is autism, which I know isn't a big research focus there, but I have e-mailed with the professor who specializes in it and she told me I'd have opportunities to focus on it.  I guess I'm really needing to decide if the extra cost (I'm estimating around $15,000) is worth it if my main interests aren't the same as the department's.  Plus the huge life changes a big move would mean.

Midnight, thanks for your advice!  May try to visit next weekend, if I can get a day off work!  It is very difficult to imagine myself there without having seen it...

Edited by eihpos

Also, I don't know if anyone here really knows for sure, but how much does ranking matter for Ph.D?  I'm about 70% sure I want to do a doctoral program later.

PSU is about 60 but I know I have an opportunity to be involved in a pretty big research study there.  UT is obviously higher ranked, but I'm not sure what opportunities I'll have since there are also Ph.D students whom I imagine the professor's are more focused on.  

I committed to UO mostly because it was one of the few places that I got in where I envision myself going (I'm currently at CU Boulder). I've been in contact with many current students who really enjoy the program. They love the school and campus in general, they see a great array of patients with ranging disabilities, and I've heard wonderful things about the staff, teachers, and the brand new facilities. I have many emails that I would be willing to forward if you are interested (anniemac09@yahoo.com) and please let me know if you end up committing to OU. Best of luck!