KIPP? Yay or Nay?

MusiKK

I'm leaving the education profession after five years (inner-city schools, Washington DC), so I suppose you may want to take what I have to say witha  grain of salt. I have very mixed opinions about KIPP. They work their teachers hard, which is typically a good thing because it shows the administrators care. Typically most classrooms of the same subject do the same things: you'll plan with your colleagues constantly. Sometimes I get the impression that things can feel a bit scripted at KIPP. This can be a pro or con depending on your own opinion. If you're new, it might be a nice place to grow into the career.

States regulate charter schools differently. I know in the District, charter schools can kick out problem children whenever they want. Our local KIPP pushed students out frequently--sometimes right before testing time (hmm, funny that). This puts a huge strain on public school teachers who basically have to accept children deemed less pallatable by charters. Some states have better regulation, though, which could keep this from being an ethical issue for you if you work in the right state. If you're in NYC you may want to check into things. The whole school choice debate is very interesting. I reccommend reading a book called Brown in Baltimore to see how the "free school choice" decision in the 60s still negatively impacts the city today.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Teaching in a city school is very rewarding, but also very challenging. KIPP kids are typically successful, so it's probably a good place to land.

Edited by Mr. Hobbes

• 3 weeks later...

Another former inner city teacher here...I've worked in both public and charter schools, and have had friends who taught with KIPP in California. In general, the academics are challenging and well organized, and expectations for the kids are high when it comes to behavior and academics, which is good. However, they work the teachers HARD. The folks I knew at KIPP had to be available by phone throughout the evening to answer any student questions about homework (they had cell phones provided by the school, which they were required to keep on and answer), and they worked LONG hours...they had an extended day schedule and then worked many afterschool hours on top of that.

Culturally, the environment was pretty strict. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want to design your own curriculum with an emphasis on social justice and the arts, then this is not a good place for you. However, if you are ready to work long hours and want to be in a more traditional setting, than it could be a good fit. No matter what, you will be in for an adventure if you become a teacher. Good luck!

I'm leaving the education profession after five years (inner-city schools, Washington DC), so I suppose you may want to take what I have to say witha  grain of salt. I have very mixed opinions about KIPP. They work their teachers hard, which is typically a good thing because it shows the administrators care. Typically most classrooms of the same subject do the same things: you'll plan with your colleagues constantly. Sometimes I get the impression that things can feel a bit scripted at KIPP. This can be a pro or con depending on your own opinion. If you're new, it might be a nice place to grow into the career.

States regulate charter schools differently. I know in the District, charter schools can kick out problem children whenever they want. Our local KIPP pushed students out frequently--sometimes right before testing time (hmm, funny that). This puts a huge strain on public school teachers who basically have to accept children deemed less pallatable by charters. Some states have better regulation, though, which could keep this from being an ethical issue for you if you work in the right state. If you're in NYC you may want to check into things. The whole school choice debate is very interesting. I reccommend reading a book called Brown in Baltimore to see how the "free school choice" decision in the 60s still negatively impacts the city today.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Teaching in a city school is very rewarding, but also very challenging. KIPP kids are typically successful, so it's probably a good place to land.