American citizen with international degree

DrDaddy

I am currently an american student and I was thinking of getting a masters degree in another country after I earn a B.S degree in biology. I,however, would like to eventually return to America for a Ph.D. In microbiology. How would this masters degree in a foreign country effect my chances at the Ph.d I'm America?

Edited by DrDaddy

• 4 weeks later...

A few of my classmates did that, and they got into top programs in the US.  I imagine it would help to pick a well-reputed international institution - some popular destinations are Oxford, Cambridge, Max Planck, ETH Zurich, etc.  If you already have a strong background from your bachelors (strong research and GPA, etc.), then your Masters will probably just be a CV-filler, and it will look cool that you went overseas.  I know one person who did a Masters overseas with well-reputed people, and they wrote her recommendations, and he got into some top-ranked programs in the US.  So in summary, it certainty doesn't hurt to go overseas.  I'm sure you know this already, but you will be treated as a domestic applicant when you apply.