Looking for a good GRE test preparation

sungchu888

Sung, I recommend you to look at ClarityEd. My brother got private tutor for their test preparation and admission advisory and he got assigned with a professor from one of the top U.S. University and admission committee. They are just a little bit more expensive compare with Kaplan, Pricenton Review, etc. But, they are one of the best around since my brother got accepted to Ivy League school after that.

Good luck!

John

What's your learning style like? For some people, getting a tutor or taking a GRE prep class is the best way to learn. Either of these options will be more expensive, but you'll get a more personalized study plan. For others, self-paced and self-guided studying is more effective. If this is the case for you, a comprehensive GRE study book would be the way to go. 

I can only speak to the self-guided approach, so if you want any suggestions for study books, just let me know.

dat_nerd: My style is somebody that can help me to target my weakness. Base on John's suggestion, I contacted ClarityEd and I am having a good experience so far. I already got the first hour of one-to-one tutoring and they help me on my weakness.

Thank you for everybody's help!

Sung

• 2 months later...

Only advice I can give is:  DON'T USE PRINCETON REVIEW.  Their practice tests are MUCH easier than the real test and therefore do not adequately prepare you for GRE.  I've heard Manhattan practice tests are good, but don't know from personal experience.  I made the mistake of using only TPR materials, and sorely regret it after many wasted months and hundreds of wasted dollars.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking a Kaplan Prep class.  It has been pretty helpful though it is not perfect.  The class provides structure and it gives you a lot of online quizzes and practice exams.  Instructors will also grade your essays for you.

But if you have the time and the money, get a GRE tutor.  They will help you really focus on your weaknesses.

If you are looking for free ways to prepare, I recommend the following:

• Power Prep software you can download from the ETS website.
  • number2.com
  • GRE Question a Day: delivered daily to your email
  • Free Princeton Review Workshops: find out if they are offering any at your university.
  • Universities often have free math tutoring.
  • Free phone apps to practice your vocabulary.

hello! 
i'll be giving my gre in oct.and the gre tutors here in pakistan are really expensive, i can only either pay the test fee which approx. around 18 grand or take tutions which is 20 grand,so im self studying and doing online tests, how bad of situation it is to not have tuitions? 

There are tons of free tools out there (I keep stumbling across more and more thanks to these forums), but if you want to spend money, I recommend Magoosh. 

I attended a 2 weekend class at a local university, and I now have a year's worth of free access to the Magoosh site from them. It has hundreds of questions for each section and it gives you a projected score, as well as your average time, explanations for every question, and general review topics. Overall, I really like the site as it gives me a good bit of feedback for my work, and it was pretty accurate in predicting my actual GRE score.