Oxford?

Guest Guest X

Guest Guest X

Any other people out there going to the city of dreaming spires next year? Still waiting to hear what college. So very, very sick of waiting. I put New and Exeter as my top choices, but I imagine I'll get sent down to the general pool -- I think it's funny the colleges get to choose their students the way elementary school sports captains pick their teams - although I'm not sure which college gets stuck with you if you're the fat kid in the corner. :)

Guest Guest

I'm on the wait list for Oxford, and don't know how long to expect to be waiting! Grrrrr.

If you're a female and get thrown into the general pool for colleges, you might get St. Hilda's, the only all-female college at Ox, and the one with the lowest application rate. Other than that, perhaps you'd get sent to a graduate college, which are actually not that bad.

Guest Guest X

thankfully, I think I remember a little box I checked which said, no, do not put me in an all female college. Good luck with the waitlist!

Guest jenglen

GuestX, congratulations! Other poster, best of luck with the waitlist... I'm sure it will work out in your favor.

I'm going to Oxford for English (M.St.). I don't know my college, but I definitely do NOT want to be in the all-girl dorm either. I'm not ashamed to admit that I watched the first Harry Potter movie the day I found out I got in.

If they don't tell you your college choice right away, does that necessarily mean your top three have passed on you? This is kind of a new concept to me... I don't recall anything in the letter I recieved that gave me that impression.

Where did you do your undergrad? I went to Berkeley. Maybe we could exchange emails or somethin'.

Guest Guest X
jenglen said:
GuestX, congratulations! Other poster, best of luck with the waitlist... I'm sure it will work out in your favor.

I'm going to Oxford for English (M.St.). I don't know my college, but I definitely do NOT want to be in the all-girl dorm either. I'm not ashamed to admit that I watched the first Harry Potter movie the day I found out I got in.

If they don't tell you your college choice right away, does that necessarily mean your top three have passed on you? This is kind of a new concept to me... I don't recall anything in the letter I recieved that gave me that impression.

Where did you do your undergrad? I went to Berkeley. Maybe we could exchange emails or somethin'.

I'm doing my M.St. in English too. :) I spent my junior year abroad at Oxford .. it's an amazing time. And no, it's not that you haven't gotten your first choices if they didn't tell you, it's just that the general english faculty accepts people first, and then the colleges get to decide ... but given the way administrative stuff happens at Oxford, even if one of your choices has already decided they want you, they probably won't bother letting you know until May. Totally send me an e-mail,  What years are you doing? I have to confess, I can't remember if I put 1550-1780 or 1790-1900 ... I'm pretty sure (and hoping) that I did the 19th century one.

Guest Guest X

so I was wrong about when they send out college letters... I'm gonna be at Exeter next year. :) Let me know when you hear which college you'll be at.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use