Industry vs Industry postdoc (engineering)

apathetic

Been awhile, but here I am again!

I work in an area that could vaguely be called electronics.  I have two job offers right now:

1.  Well-known company, stellar compensation/benefits, in development of a particular kind of electronic device, medium cost of living area (loved the area)

2.  Another well-known company, compensation about 3/4 of the former but with similar benefits, in fundamental research of the same kind of electronic device, very high cost of living area (so-so about the area) as a postdoc.  No stated path to convert to full-time after the 2-year tenure.  This company division has a LOT of academic connections, as it funds a lot of external research.

I could see myself doing either job, but I'm concerned that the industry job means my ambitions to become a research staff member of some company will be stifled forever.  However, job #1 is incredibly stable, whereas I would most likely be looking for a job again after 2 years with job #2, and I'll be honest, the job search over the past few months has been really traumatizing.

Has anyone had this choice before?  Later regret your choice?  Love it?

Edited by apathetic