Partial funding??-pacifying advise required!

Ali Adil

So this is what happened yesterday!

Coming from an engineering academic background (EE-Bachelor's and EE and Management-Master's), the academic advisor emails asking me if I am sure about applying to Urban Planning PhD. So, I tell him that I have been working for over 2.5 years in the field of urban planning and share my research thoughts woth him so on and so forth..blah..blah. He is happy that I have hand-on experience and happier about my research interests.

Soon after this, he says the school is running low on funds !!FTW!!

and he tells me this- "I will try to raise funds for you here but what I need you tell me is how much can you manage on your own so that I can work on getting the rest."

Does that mean I have been unofficially accepted with partial funding?

There was no talk on waivers :( He mentioned about in-state fee being lower and how I can assume an in-state status after I arrive (din't really understand that part clearly!)

I am confused and super anxious at the moment but I don't want to let go of this opportunity because I have applied outside the US before and most schools found supervising my PhD topic difficult on account of lack of expertise. (my topic is interdisciplinary)

If there is any advise (preferably pacifying!) anyone can give me then that'll be so great!

thanks

xx