Final decision time! UCLA Luskin vs. GW Elliott

IzChmiel

Hello! 

I've been following a lot of posts, and now I have a week to make my final decision....I need your advise!

I've strategically applied to 3 schools -- UCLA's Luskin, GW's Elliott, and JHU SAIS -- and got into all.

For logistical and financial reasons, I am not going to SAIS (though it's a great school). 

I'm between Elliott and Luskin. 

The two programs I am considering are different - MPP in International Public Policy vs.

MA in Global Communication with focus in Int'l Dev./Public Diplomacy - though both within the sphere of int'l/public affairs. 

My concerns....

- Reputation: UCLA is ranked higher than GW at the university level, but Elliott is more reputable than Luskin.  Contradictory! 

- Marketability: MPP is a more practical degree that's more quant heavy, but the MA has flexibility for quant courses too (though not as rigorous)

Though Elliott is better connected, and recent GC grads are at the State Dept. and BoozAllen....

- Location: I've lived in D.C. for 4 years and worked at the World Bank.  My longtime significant other wants to move to Cali and I want to too,    

though have some reservations.  Career mistake or refresher?

Based on your knowledge and experience, what's the better choice as far as value of the degree and future prospects? 

Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it!  :)

Edited by IzChmiel

i was in a similar position, with all the schools you mentioned plus USC.  had same exact logical reasoning between schools (marketability of MPP vs MA in IR), personally wanted to stay in Cali (im from here) and job prospects.  

although at the time of applying, UCLA was my dream school, I soon realized that to do the sort of work I want to do (IR field) UCLA or even USC wasn't the right fit.  even with the intl policy track, the job prospects from UCLA seems more ngo/non profit based locally than anything else.   but here's the thing, the only work experience I had was as a photojournalist, so getting an MPP then planning to work in IR without any work exp seemed impossible.  but for someone with WB experience for 4 years, I think getting a MPP might be a great idea, then find work some really good work in CA.  now if you wanted to move back to DC, might not make much sense. 

most importantly, what do you want to do afterwards? are you leaning towards IR type jobs, cause if so its much slimmer in LA.  if not, then UCLA is a great program with great job prospects in the LA area. 

feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Edited by dyavrom