MS Biostatistics

Hello, everyone. I recently got interested in applying for MS in Biostatistics and would like some input on my situation and interests in this field.

What attracts me to the field: science, making sense of things, job stability/pay/hours

The problem is, I have a BS in biomolecular science which has no computer courses and only calc 1&2. I've read online that undergrad strong in math and computer science is preferred, but does that mean I will need to take additional classes? My GPA is high and I have years of experience my university's research lab running experiments. 

Also there doesn't seem to be many programs and their websites are not too forthcoming about what they look for in an applicant

Do I have a shot ?

For an MS, yea you have a pretty good chance. I came from a Biology undergrad and I'm headed straight into a PhD program next year. You need to do well on the quant section of the GRE (155 minimum, but idealy 160+). You only need two additional classes to make yourself comptetitve; take linear algebra and calc 3, and you'll be good to go. Actually, you could probably get accepted to an MS without having Calc III, but if you ever want to go beyond that (I.e. PhD), them you'll need multivariable calculus.

I was in the same situation as you last year, but I applied to MS in Canada. Follow what Noco7 said and I think you will be competitive.

Good to see that more biology majors are getting into this field. I work with biostatisticians at my workplace and I know that education/experience in biology or more specifically microbiology or biochemistry will go a long way if you plan to work in clinical research, especially for any "earlier" stage study (i.e. pre-phase I, phase I and phase II).

I believe the MPH curriculum is designed to be a terminal degree (thus providing little foundation for PhD study) and places even more emphasis on application than do MS (therefore less theory classes). This is why MPH degrees typically have less stringent math Pre-Reqs than do MS degrees... Also, I'm not sure if this applies to all places, but I believe MS degrees are more often than not thesis based, whereas MPH degrees are not.