U of M Humphrey School -- lack of work experience and lots of W's?

Hi y'all...just joined after being a lurker!

I'm looking at going to Humphrey in 2014 or 2015, and I won't have much (relevant) work experience to show them--possibly a year, possibly none at all. I'm an Econ major with a pretty good quantitative background and research experience, and about a 3.75 overall (3.93 in my major), but I don't even have an internship yet! (I'm a senior at a good but lesser-known state school in western Wisconsin and am taking the GRE this summer.)

Also, there are almost 20 W's on my record, along with six incompletes, thanks to an eating disorder that I had for three years and am now recovering from. Would it be worth it to write an addendum, or should I not even waste my time applying with so many W's?

You should apply no matter what.  Don't write yourself off.

Writing a note about your special circumstances would probably help -- as long as you did it professionally.  And of course great professor + employer recs will go a long way to overcoming any letter grade issues.