Working during Graduate School

flower!

I also posted this in another forum, but thought maybe this was a more appropriate place for it.

I am about to enter a two-year graduate program at Columbia and I was recently offered a job to work part-time (somewhat related to my career, but not the field I want to go into). The pay is high enough that I would be able to cover my living expenses and my other option is taking out massive loans between tuition and room/board. 

My concern is that it will interfere with school. I worked during undergrad, but as a hostess and a babysitter—which I did well, but it wasn't an intellectual distraction. Also with my job in undergrad, I worked mostly evenings which didn't interfere with lecture hours. This new job is during the day. 

I was wondering how you guys weighed the pros and cons of working during school. If there was anyone who had an experience that could help me make a decision. I haven't spoken to anyone about it, but I could see two sides of the argument being "you have no choice, you have to work to make money" and "definitely don't work during graduate school..this is your time to be in school." I'm nervous about re-entering the job market after graduation without working during school, but also working while everyone else is studying and getting ahead.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Amber

Working during school is going to pay the bills, and you'll graduate with experience in your field, which puts you ahead of most.

I say do it, and invest in a planner. Even look at some Stephen Covey time management training. You will need to master the art of the managing your time, but if you take night classes and work part-time hours, you will be a much more attractive candidate after graduating.