UCL MA: a money- maker?

Needle in the Hay

Hi all,

Does anyone have an informed opinion about whether UCL's MA program in philosophy is a "money- maker" program, similar to U of Chicago's MAPH program? A professor of mine was suspicious that it might be. I'm not sure what gave him this impression, but he mentioned that it seemed like it would be easy for UCL to take advantage of international students who were so enfatuated with the idea of studying at a prestigious university in London that they wouldn't scrutinize the program carefully.

To be clear, in asking whether the program is a "money- maker" I am not simply asking whether it is expensive: obviously this information is available online. Rather, what I am asking is whether it is the kind of program that takes a hefty sum of your money and then gives you a backseat to the PhD, MPhil, and perhaps even undergrad students in terms of ability to work closely with and be taken seriously by faculty. If anyone could shed any light on the subject it would be greatly appreciated, as I have put in an application there.

Can't speak about UCL. But I am attending University College Dublin at the moment. The faculty here treat the MAs just as well as the MPhil and Phd students. What's more, the PhD. students treat us as equals. Great atmosphere. Profs join us for pints at least once every other week. I'd say UCD is equally as 'prestigious' as UCL and probaly equally as expensive. It could be considered a 'money-maker' program. But I have found it to be worth the money thus far. I've been put in touch with loads of people in the field. Saw McDowell speak three times last week. Have seen Chomsky, Geuss, and others give talks. Have had loads of time to do independent research and from what I hear from my fellow MAs, supervisor-MA relations are terrific across the board. They treat us like PhD. candidates. I'll be extremely lucky if when I go onto a PhD. program I have a supervisor who is as kind, genuine, and intelligent as who I am working with now. This is not a pitch for UCD. This is just a generally good tale about an American who is attending an MA program overseas. Sure, I'm taking on debt. But I feel I have solid momentum moving me towards a top program back in the states... if you want to hear a few negatives, shoot me a message. 

Edited by STM17