Adjunct Position

Hello, all! I'm wondering what the appropriate way is of inquiring about possible adjunct positions at a university or college? Most of the time these positions aren't necessarily "posted" in the same way that full time gigs are posted, but I've also been wondering if it reflects poorly on me to be inquiring via email about adjunct positions instead of more permanent positions (like if it suggests that I don't think I'm qualified).

My partner is applying to PhD prep programs around the country, and I will consider moving with her if I can at least gain some more teaching experience by adjuncting a writing course or two in the geographical area where she'll be moving--just to be clear about my situation. Any info/insight you have to offer is much appreciated! 

Edited by sanfram

From friends that have gone this route, they've all emailed the Department Chair and inquired through them. I assume you only have a MA? If so, I'd look toward small LAC and state universities - both will from time to time make use of adjuncts to teach Freshman writing courses so it frees up tenured faculty to teach courses they want.

For community colleges and state universities, I have contacted the HR department and asked how to submit my application for the adjunct pool. However, some schools will outline how to apply to the adjunct pool right on their employment website, so I'd suggest checking that first. Good luck!

I got my adjunct position by taking my CV to the department itself. Of course, I graduated from the department. Call the department secretary (if they still are lucky enough to have one with all of the budget cuts these days!) and find out how they do their hiring. S/he'll help you figure it out. While HR can help, you can save time by going straight through the department.

Thanks, y'all! I think contacting the department secretary sounds like the best first move. I feel weird about bothering the Chair for something like this, unless for some reason I don't get a response from other folks.  

To echo what others have said, I secured my adjunct position by emailing the Dean/Department Chair in my subject--just a little blurb saying I was qualified and interested, plus my attached CV. Timing was everything. For my school, they were looking for Spring adjuncts in January/February. Now they're looking for Fall adjuncts in May/June. Not sure how typical that is.

Overall, I would suggest trying anything other than the online system first. It seems to me that those who only apply through the online/HR channels fall into the abyss.