BBA Marketing to MS Engineering

cinoadam

Hi all,

I completed a BBA in Marketing Three years ago. I've held a few different jobs/positions since then. I feel that this field isn't what I thought it would be, and I'm looking for a career change.

I'm interested in getting an MS in engineering. The thing is, I've never taken an engineering course or computer science course. I only took calculus 1 in college. And I didn't take any physics classes.

I know some people complete a second bachelors in engineering and then apply to an MS program. I was wondering, is it possible to skip this process, and just take some Math, Physics and Engineering courses?

I'm interested in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Science specifically.

For example, let's say I was going for Electrical Engineering, could I just take these courses
Calc 1,2,3
Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Physics 1,2
2-3 Electrical Engineering courses

A second bachelors in engineering would require some other distribution requirements that I feel are just a waste of time.

In addition to this, could any tell me how competitive SUNY Buffalo or SUNY Stonybrook are for MS in Engineering? And whether or not these two schools have good recruiting prospects?

Take the math classes you mentioned plus a physics 3 if it is offered. Also, take at least one intro level CS class and learn Matlab (perhaps on your own?). You'll need to beef up on programming skills for sure. Then, I believe, for most MS programs you can take "articulation" courses that would fill in gaps for your specific field from not having an engineering undergrad. This is required by ABET, the leading engineering accreditation.

Personally, I have a statistics BS and did my MS in industrial engineering without any issues; note, however, that IE is fairly different from other engineering fields in that it is primarily applied statistics and optimization rather than applied physics.