Best online/distance education Masters program in Clinical Psychology

gunjrita

I don't have a psychology background, but wish to get a phd in clinical psychology. I understand I will need a Masters first. Is there any online/distance education Masters in Clinical Psychology program that is well accredited ? Is there any accrediting body for Masters programs in Clinical Psychology ?

1. You don't need a master's, even th ough certain master's programs I would recommend- many others I would not.

2. I don't know if you'll be able to find a master's in Clinical Psychology. It will probably be general Psychology or counseling.

3. I don't believe there is an accrediting body for master's programs in psychology.

4. If you want to get a PhD in clinical psych, you should definitely be taking foundational courses (check out Harvard Extension School- the only online program I'm familiar with and is definitely legit) on the grad level if possible. I am currently graduating from a full-time, in-person MS program and going into a PhD program, and I would only recommend a full master's program if it is competitive, very strongly research-focused, and your mentor will be very close to you and in an area of research you would like to continue on in. So basically, no online programs are going to do that :-). So if I were you, I'd take my online foundation courses (possibly through HES), and then also work or volunteer in a research lab where you will have the ability to play a major role in projects or get put on posters/papers. The first (courses) is something you need to do to have the requirements, the second (research) is something you need to do to get accepted :-) Also, make sure you rock the GRE and psych GRE.

Guest joshw4288

Avoid all online programs. You will miss out on research and making good connections with professors. There are some programs in clinical psychology out there at the MA level. Off the top of my head, I know that Columbia has one. I know someone who graduated from there and is now a full-time researcher at Stony Brook. The APA does not accredit any master level programs.