MAT

LadyNole

Has anyone taken the MAT? I posted before in regards to the GRE but after speaking to one school that I hope to get into, they advised me to do the MAT since math is my weakest point. How long did you prepare for? From the review I have from Kaplan, it looks as if studying won't be that bad but I'd like to get as high as I can. Thanks!

In the interest of time, I chose to take the MAT instead of the GRE to get into a MA program.  I did scan a MAT prep book; however, I did not spend a great deal of prep time before the exam.  I believe the thrust of your review should be learning the different formats of the analogies will be structured.  I scored very well.  Honestly, I doubt reviewing any of the subjects within the prep book would have significantly increased my results.  For the analogies I didn't know outright, I reverted to test-taking strategies.

Good luck!

I took the MAT without preparing for it at all, and quite honestly I don't know how someone could effectively study for it. Aside from testing your understanding of analogies, the MAT tests your accumulated base of academic knowledge.

When I took it, the questions ranged from U.S. presidents to the colors of tree trunks to different types of triangles to demonstrative pronouns. It was all over the place and required general knowledge from every major discipline. I did very well on the MAT, but I felt like I was bombing it the entire time and nearly canceled my test before I left the testing center.

I think someone can much more easily prepare and study for the GRE, but the MAT is cheaper and worth a shot.

Good luck!