Changing from PhD track to a Masters of Science track. What do I do?!

impulse_nerve

I'm in the uncomfortable position of having accepted an a PhD track at a large public institution (finishing my first year) and not having it live up to my expectations. Of all the choices, (leaving, finishing PhD here, staying the PhD track and then leaving once I've been given a Masters along the way, etc.) the best idea I've come up with is to ask to be switched into a Master track. The problem here is that I still want to earn a PhD. It's just becoming more clear after the year here that I don't want it to be here. 

The institution is a strong public university (I'm getting my degree in Mechanical Engineering). However, my undergraduate institution was also a strong public university and a similar style college town to boot. It feels like I've traded one location/school for an equivalent one and am not overly enthused with my research adviser. 

If I switch to a Masters Program, what are everyone's thoughts on my outlook for reapplying to schools PhD program at the end of that Masters (assuming that transition goes well)?

Will I be shooting myself in the foot for leaving a PhD program in the first place if I'm not content with the University setting? My primary motives for leaving are unfortunately grounded in emotional turmoil than actual quality of the program. 

My undergraduate degree is from 2012 BSME, GRE scores strong 800/630 and my grades thus far are very strong in the graduate program. 

My main concern here is that I've received funding for this first year and will basically be telling the department here that they've wasted there time/money for me to become a terminal Masters student.

How much should weigh the feelings of the department (and the subsequent effect on LOR) vs my own happiness in a program?

Thanks!