What's the earliest I can enter with a F1 visa

rohit2412

Hi

I have my course start date as 19th August,2013. Would the earliest I can arrive (30 days within the given date) be 20th July or 21st July. 

Thanks

Rohit

You can enter the US on the F-1 visa no more than 30 days before the start day of your program, as listed on your I-20. On my count that means that if the date on your I-20 is August 19, 30 days before that is July 20 -- but why risk it if you're not sure? Fly in on the 21st and then you know you're definitely safe.

** this is the place to make extra clear that none of us here are immigration experts. That's why my advice is better safe than sorry. If you're going to fly in on the 20th, I'd email someone official at immigration and ask, or else not risk it.

I also want to add that even if someone official at US Immigration tells you one thing, ultimately, it's up to the discretion of the border agent to decide whether or not you can enter. Also, it might have been fuzzy too, but someone here posted an email they got from their International Student office stating that students on F-1 or J-1 statuses may encounter extra security procedures for the next little while. I got an email from my school too, and I'll see if going back to the US next month will be harder than arriving here in the first place!

So, I agree with fuzzy -- unless that one single day difference is a huge deal, why risk it?