Already a bit overwhelmed... (x/post from Research)

ak90

Sorry for the double-post but I realized this question is probably more relevant in this forum...

I was accepted into a social psych PhD program for the fall straight from undergrad, which I'm really excited for, but one of the students in another lab with similar interests asked me to help out on a research project. I'd have no trouble helping if I knew what to do, but we just kind of agreed to both study the general topic of the study and eventually design a study. I just keep feeling like I don't know enough to contribute to the study design. She's basically come up with everything and I just keep going "that sounds like a great idea!"

I mean, I'm reading up on the subject, but I'm just having a lot of trouble coming up with something original, and I feel like I keep doing that just for the sake of being original and it's not necessarily helpful. I'm not sure if I should email her and just say, "hey, I have no clue what I'm doing, can you just tell me what you want me to do to help you with this project?" But at the same time my fiancee keeps telling me I need to step up... whatever that means. I just really want this girl to know I care about the subject and I really want to learn more, but I just feel lost and like I don't know as much as I should given that I got into a PhD program...

Any advice?

Without knowing anything about you or your background, I would generalize and say that you may just not have a hang of what being a PhD student entails yet, which would be understandable considering it appears you officially begin in the fall but you and this other girl are trying to get a head start... :huh:

Correct me if I have interpreted that incorrectly...

If this person is already a graduate student, they may be able to help you understand how to properly process your uncertainties if you are just honest and talk to her about it.

If you don't feel you have the relationship with her required to do such a thing, it may be better to go straight to your PI, (but I don't understand how you already have one if you don't start until the fall...?)

I don't know your husband either, but at first glance it appears he is either unsure of what to advise and is going with a general encouragement, or he may have gone thru the exact same experience and knows that it just took him believing in himself to get started.

Again, there's too much information lacking for me to really speculate with much accuracy.

I will say that in my undergrad I struggled with "Impostor Syndrome" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome) and it was quite debilitating at times. However, now that I'm more cognisant of this, I am being much more deliberate about being proactive and recognizing my strengths and my accomplishments. B)

If that's possible you are dealing with this also, I would encourage you to not hold it in and talk to your loved ones about it, or discuss it with us on here who are here to encourage each other!

Cheers!

I just keep feeling like I don't know enough to contribute to the study design. She's basically come up with everything and I just keep going "that sounds like a great idea!"

Sometimes, helping people reflect and bounce off their own ideas is as important as coming up with something original. If you initially feel like contributing originally is a bit of a stretch, you might be able to still prove extremely useful by helping her analyse and introspect her ideas in greater detail. Perhaps take some time to think about her ideas and schedule some sessions to discuss these. Discussing these may also help you understand the process by which she comes up with such original ideas.

I mean, I'm reading up on the subject, but I'm just having a lot of trouble coming up with something original, and I feel like I keep doing that just for the sake of being original and it's not necessarily helpful. 

Are you at least discussing with her the ideas that you originate, don't dismiss them as unhelpful yourself; sometimes your own ideas may not seem great to you, but someone else can reword them with a wonderful perspective. Don't be shy or apprehensive of sharing your ideas, even if you don't land up using most of them initially.

I just really want this girl to know I care about the subject and I really want to learn more, but I just feel lost and like I don't know as much as I should given that I got into a PhD program...

Remember - you get into a PhD program because you have the potential to complete it, not because you should know everything now. Treat this as a learning experience and never get your confidence down. Best of luck !!