Political Theory PhD in Germany

outlaw

I am planning to pursue my doctoral studies in political philosophy in Germany. I have a few questions, and would be pleased if anyone (within Germany or having a firsthand experience of German academic world) might be able to answer:

1) I am looking forward to work with my doctoral supervisor in an individual capacity rather than going for a structured doctorate. Someone informed me that such an arrangement would ensure that I would be heavily dependent upon the supervisor (who within the German academia has more of authority than his British counterpart), to the point where the award of final degree may rest firmly at the latter's discretion.

2) The possibilities of funding: With such an arrangement, how easy or difficult is it to get a position (teaching or research assistant) within the university?

Regards,

P.S. I am at present looking for Heidelberg, Bremen, and Zurich (not German, but within the linguistic area). A German friend told me that within Germany, for social and political philosophy, Heidelberg is not well known as international students suppose it to be and although it depends upon the connections and academic worth of the expert, Frankfurt and Berlin (HU and FU) might be the places to look at. Is this view sound?

Don't look at the institution, noone in Germany actually cares about that. Look at the people you want to work with! Because of the German system, professors tend to be quite spread-out, and you have people at not well-known universities doing amazing work and being very reputable in the field, while people at "better" universities sometimes don't know squat.

Regarding 1: Make sure that you and your advisor mesh well wrt both personality and research interests. Especially in theory, many publications will be in German, and you will usually be expected to teach courses in German. Can you do that? Your advisor will indeed have a lot of pull in the German system, to the point that they decide when your thesis is ready for submission, they're first reader, so grade it etc. Also, academia is very much based on personal relations. so make sure to pick an advisor who knows people in the field you're interested in.

Regarding 2: Knowing very good German will probably be a prerequisite for you getting a job teaching. Also be prepared to have to teach an undergrad seminar without any supervision. Most supervisors I know try to fund all their students, though theory is also difficult because there often aren't that many seminars taught etc. The other option would be to look at scholarships. Germany has 9 big "Begabtenwerke" that also give scholarships to foreigners studying in Germany. In addition, there's the DAAD.

Last, but not least: Why do you want to do your PhD in Germany? From what I understand, political theory/philosophy isn't really an important subject of study at most German universities nowadays. Zurich has a large and good Political Philosophy department, but it all depends on whether you're doing contemporary stuff etc. Look for people who publish in your field, and then decide based on that!

Hope this helps!

Don't look at the institution, noone in Germany actually cares about that. Look at the people you want to work with! Because of the German system, professors tend to be quite spread-out, and you have people at not well-known universities doing amazing work and being very reputable in the field, while people at "better" universities sometimes don't know squat.

Regarding 1: Make sure that you and your advisor mesh well wrt both personality and research interests. Especially in theory, many publications will be in German, and you will usually be expected to teach courses in German. Can you do that? Your advisor will indeed have a lot of pull in the German system, to the point that they decide when your thesis is ready for submission, they're first reader, so grade it etc. Also, academia is very much based on personal relations. so make sure to pick an advisor who knows people in the field you're interested in.

Regarding 2: Knowing very good German will probably be a prerequisite for you getting a job teaching. Also be prepared to have to teach an undergrad seminar without any supervision. Most supervisors I know try to fund all their students, though theory is also difficult because there often aren't that many seminars taught etc. The other option would be to look at scholarships. Germany has 9 big "Begabtenwerke" that also give scholarships to foreigners studying in Germany. In addition, there's the DAAD.

Last, but not least: Why do you want to do your PhD in Germany? From what I understand, political theory/philosophy isn't really an important subject of study at most German universities nowadays. Zurich has a large and good Political Philosophy department, but it all depends on whether you're doing contemporary stuff etc. Look for people who publish in your field, and then decide based on that!

Hope this helps!

I have tried to contact a few noted academics from my field, but I have an idea that it might not be possible to work with them since they are already too much engaged in their work, are booked with students, and do not know me already as a master's student. Anyhow, I have in mind the fact that at least the supervisor should be sufficiently well known within the German academia (for contacts, fundings, etc) and with an easy going personality (easing rather than creating obstacles during my study time).

Well Germany has several advantages for me. I can pursue my studies autonomously through the individual supervision program, rather than the structured doctorate. Second, I can develop and expand my German language skills, which at present stand at the level B2 of the Common European Framework. Third, I want to explore the debates in the Continental political philosphy, and am repulsed (wirklich) by the arguements going on within the positivist political theory of the Anglo American world. Fourth, due to relatively low living costs and almost no tuition fees, I can survive for at least 2 years on my own saving even without any support from the university or a funding agency. Well, of course, studying there also has its negative points, but these are largely the positive points that are motivating me to apply for a PhD in Germany.

And, yes, thank you for your helpful answer!