Political Philosophy PhD in Germany

outlaw

I am planning to pursue my doctoral studies in political philosophy in Germany. I have a few questions, and would be pleased if anyone (within Germany or having a firsthand experience of German academic world) might be able to answer:

1) I am looking forward to work with my doctoral supervisor in an individual capacity rather than going for a structured doctorate. Someone informed me that such an arrangement would ensure that I would be heavily dependent upon the supervisor (who within the German academia has more of authority than his British counterpart), to the point where the award of final degree may rest firmly at the latter's discretion.

2) The possibilities of funding: With such an arrangement, how easy or difficult is it to get a position (teaching or research assistant) within the university?

Regards,

P.S. I am at present looking for Heidelberg, Bremen, and Zurich (not German, but within the linguistic area). A German friend told me that within Germany, for social and political philosophy, Heidelberg is not well known as international students suppose it to be and although it depends upon the connections and academic worth of the expert, Frankfurt and Berlin (HU and FU) might be the places to look at. Is this view sound?

Assuming that 1) is a question whether this is true, my answer would be "yes". To 2) I would answer "very very difficult if you aren't already known to them through your studies in some way. I don't know the answer to your PS-question, as I don't do Political Philosophy.

1) is one of the reasons why I preferred American doctoral programs although I am from the German speaking system.

If you want to do that, you have to try to build connections and networks with and around your desired professor(s) as soon as possible, before you apply.

I had an idea that the structured programs within the German universities are more secure financially and academically (the probability of securing a doctoral degree within 3 years is very high). However, they are too structured, ordered, applied - more depedent upon the objectives of the funding bodies rather than the academic need of the student body.

Anyhow, thanks for your input. In the end, you mentioned "if you want to do that" - by "that" you mean applying for the doctorate or applying for the teaching or research assistant position after being accepted as a doctoral student?

The reasons why the probability of securing a doctoral degree within 3 years is high are 1) you have to have an MA degree to even start with the doctoral studies (do you have that?), and 2) because it is very difficult to find any funding after 3 years and so people have a lot of pressure to finish within that time frame.

With "that" I mainly meant applying for the teaching/assistant position - it is not hard to find a professor who will advise you on your dissertation, as long as you bring the money yourself. Almost anyone can find a professor to do that if they don't ask for money. The difficult part is to find a source of money that is somehow connected to your dissertation (i.e. not just working in a coffee shop).

But don't take my input as the last word, maybe there's people who see it in a more optimistic light :-). By the way, Zurich pays way more than the other two because it is in Switzerland.

Yes, that seems to me the main problem. One can of course raise finances within Germany but the work done should ideally correspond either to your dissertation or your career plans. I would not say that your words are not optimisitc, they sound perhaps more realistic. Anyhow, in a foreign country, one should do best to prepare for the worst.

I was in touch with an associate professor at Zurich for the individual program, but I had an idea that perhaps securing a place on individual basis with the supervisor does not mean that one would be able to secure a position as teaching assistant later (even during the final year as a doctoral student). And, yes Zurich pays well, way beyond the other two, but the living and related costs are massive in there!

Hi,

I'm German and did my undergrad there, but am now doing a PhD in philosophy in the UK.

Concerning where to go for political philosophy: Yes, Frankfurt is a great place to be for this. (http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2012/04/the-future-of-political-philosophy-in-germany.html)

Concerning funding: there are in general two ways fund a PhD in Germany: 1) Work as a research assistant. I think these jobs are hard to get and people often seem to get them on an informal basis, for example because they knew the professor before - but I am not sure about this; 2) Get a scholarships from a foundation; there are 11 national scholarship foundations, some of them are political, some religious, some have no religious or political affiliations (http://www.stipendiumplus.de). In order to apply for those, you need a recommendation from your future supervisor. Plus, they are very hard to get. Of 200000 PhD students in Germany, only about 4000 have such a scholarship.

Given that you don't have to pay student fees and that standards of living in Germany are relatively low (compared to the UK at least), it is possible, I think, to do a PhD and work another job at the same time. True, your PhD might take longer than 3 years, maybe 5, but this is not uncommon. Your prospects of getting a job in academia after this, however, are probably very slim. However, you might just be interested in doing the PhD for personal, intellectual reasons.

Yeah, I had an idea that due to a very high number of enrolled students in a PhD program in Germany, securing a place after a doctorate within academia is not very easy (and it here that the academic contacts of the supervisor become really important).