What should I expect?

Hello, all.

I'm happy to see this forum so active! For those of you who have started a full-time MSW program, how are you enjoying it? I'm beginning a two year, 60-credit hour MSW program in August. I'm stoked to get started but a little nervous as well. The program I have been accepted to requires non-advanced standing students to take five courses the first semester: human behavior and social environments, social welfare history and policy analysis, social work with individuals, social work with groups, and social work with communities. I'm sure it will be a general overview of the field, but I would like to hear about the experiences you guys have had your first semester. I look forward to hearing from you!

I too would love to hear some input. Now that application season for Fall 2013 is pretty much over I'd like to hear some information about actual experiences rather than apps. I will be attending Ohio State this fall for their full-time 2 year program. We are required to take 4 classes:

1) Social and Economic Justice: Foundation knowledge related to social justice in the context of social welfare in advancing human rights of all people.

2)  Social Work Perspectives: on Development and Behavior Across the Lifespan: Examine individual and contextual development processes across the lifespan in order to understand how human behavior is impacted by risk and protective developmental factors.

3) Engaging with Evidence: Students develop knowledge, values and skills about evidence to inform practice and prepare to analyze evidence at all levels of practice.

4)  Engaging and Entering the Profession: Introduces students to the knowledge, skills and values needed to prepare for and engage in social work with vulnerable and oppressed populations.

We also have to do field work. Unlike the rest of the program, field work begins 8 weeks into the semester, rather than right away. It is only for 16 hours a week, then in following semesters it is 24 hours a week. I'm very happy that they jump right in with field work, rather than waiting until the next semester to start.

I'm still unsure about what to expect class wise. Group work? Lots of writing? I'd love input. 

Kris427,

Wow! Your courses seem much different than mine, however the main idea should be the same. I have heard that there will be a lot of writing, group projects, etc., but that's from past students of the program I am entering (University of Alabama).

Anyone else want to share their experiences?

I'm starting Fordham in late August . I will be taking 17 credit hours 5 of which will b field placement which will begin September 9. I'm so excited . My classes will be Human Behavior, Human Rights n Social Justice, generalist social work dealing with individuals families n groups. Plus a integrative seminar which meets 10 times during the academic year with your advisor and students with the purpose of assisting the student in developing a professional identity as a social worker. I'm super excited and looking forward to this journey. I have worked for 7.5 years in the sw field as a case manager in the Bronx and Harlem areas working with different populations such as homeless individuals, people living with HIV, domestic violence and mental illness. Fordham has invited us to a welcoming reception for the MSW students June 6 . I'm excited ;) I wish us nothing but the best experience on this amazing field

Hmsw2013,

Sounds like you have a full plate this fall! The program I'm beginning requires us to take a full load of coursework each fall and then part time coursework/32-hour a week field placement each spring. I'm beyond excited and can't wait to get started!!

Thanks for your advice, socialworkphd. I'm really excited to actually apply knowledge and critically think. You are right, undergrad is really "who can memorize the best", it's going to be fun to actually use the skills and knowledge in the field and work through projects with others.

Thanks so much, socialworkphd. I agree that undergrad is all about "faking it until you make it" and places a strong emphasis on memorization. Although I have enjoyed my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to implementing what I'm learning. The program I'm beginning requires us to have 1,000 field placement hours prior to graduation, so I hope to acquire valuable experience during that time. I will do 500 hours each spring semester of the program.

Thanks so much, socialworkphd. I agree that undergrad is all about "faking it until you make it" and places a strong emphasis on memorization. Although I have enjoyed my undergraduate career, I am looking forward to implementing what I'm learning. The program I'm beginning requires us to have 1,000 field placement hours prior to graduation, so I hope to acquire valuable experience during that time. I will do 500 hours each spring semester of the program.

Just curious! Does your program require you to complete 500 hours in one semester, or are you given the option of splitting it up (i.e. 250 hours each semester fall and spring)?

Just curious! Does your program require you to complete 500 hours in one semester, or are you given the option of splitting it up (i.e. 250 hours each semester fall and spring)?

Hello! Yes, my program requires non-advanced standing students to complete 500 field hours both spring semesters (1,000 hours total). It's about 35 hours a week, I believe. The first spring semester, along with our generalist field placement, we are required to take an integrative seminar class and a research-informed practice course.

Is this similiar to your program?