Appropriate gift for a professor?

snarky

Hey all,

I've been visiting another lab/department for a year and I'll be leaving soon. I was thinking about getting the two lab PIs something to say thanks for hosting me for the year - they've done a lot for me, from training me on new and expensive methodology to sending me abroad on their grant to run subjects. It's hard to tell what is (in)appropriate in this kind of situation... does anyone have any thoughts on gift etiquette? 

Thanks! 

My public service employer has a gift acceptance policy that I think applies to any situation where you do not want to create a perceived conflict of interest. 

There is a 3 part test for non-monetary gifts (monetary gifts, including gift cards, we can't accept):

1. Social Standard – the gift is of a value deemed not excessive given prevailing business and social standards

2. Reciprocity – the gift is of a nature that one could and would reciprocate

3. Reputation - Accepting the gift would not jeopardize the reputation of the (Professor)

When I saw this I thought it would be a good idea for a colleague-type gift: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/product.asp?sku=18156660&

Hope that helps! 

My strategy has been to go with food.  There was a professor who met with me over the summer regularly on his own time and worked through some content-specific material with me, so I made him cookies.  Since I took (a little time) to make them, it seemed like an appropriate way to thank him for his time, without getting too extravagant.  If you're not into baking food might include something you couldn't get from WalMart, like some good local beer (if you know they drink beer) or maybe gourmet cupcakes or something.

Otherwise, I like Bethadone's idea of the quirky presents that you wouldn't get for just anyone.  Are you familiar with ThinkGeek.com?  They have lots of nerdy office stuff.  I love my beaker coffee mug, and they used to sell Swiss army knife USB drives, though I haven't looked for those in years.

Depending on your relationship, if you wanted something a little more professional you could do a donation type thing.  For Christmas, I used to "buy" people in my office something from Heifer International ( http://www.heifer.org/ ), then give them something to go with it.  So, once I bought the department a sheep (translation: I donated the cost of a sheep to Heifer, and they gave a sheep to someone somewhere who could use one) and then also gave everyone wool socks to open.  I imagine Clean Water charities have something similar.

I'm in neuroscience so I try to keep my gifts nerdy but thoughtful. There's a wine company called Synapse Wines with fun neuro humor labels. I've given a few professors thank you bottles. I do not recommend you giving just any professor a bottle of wine though! I have a great relationship with mine so it didn't feel out of line. 

• 4 weeks later...

A written note of thanks would be best. And as Miss Manners says, buy some real stationery and not a prewritten card. I don't think a bottle of wine would be out of line either if you felt inclined.