USA citizens going abroad - where do you get your loans?

So no, I'm not a genius.. although the program I got accepted to has a reasonably low tuition, I'll need a loan from someone, somewhere. And all sources seem to assume that only international students studying IN the USA are the ones looking for a source. I didn't think it would be this difficult, but finding an institution that dishes out loans for those studying internationally is getting tough.

I'm sure there are several others out there doing this - is there some secret I'm overlooking?

Edit: accidentaly deleted the entire post when trying to edit out typos.. Sorry, too late to reconstruct right now, really need to go to bed.

Just one quick thing: Maybe try to check for funding options at the institution where you got accepted and in the country where the institution is. (If you havent done so already.)

Edited by Nuya

Have you looked at FAFSA? You can use US federal loans as (at least some) international schools. I know multiple Americans who've done that to pay for tutition and living expenses while going to grad school in the UK.

Hm I thought FAFSA was for USA-schools only? I can look into it but assume the deadline's passed...

Nuya that's a shame! I did look at their options but they only give like $6,000 USD/year. I'd rather get it all from 1 source.

I did apply to a Fulbright (in SP, actually) and got rejected. I didn't think they'd pay for grad school if you got in independently?

Thanks for the responses guys i'm sure many others in my boat will gain from this!

http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international#international-schools

Not too far down on that page is a link to - http://studentaid.ed.gov/sites/default/files/international-schools-in-federal-loan-programs.xlsx

It's a spreadsheet with schools that participate in the Federal Student Loan Program. Why it's in spreadsheet form and not on a website, no clue - that's our government for you.

Unfortunately Singapore and Tokyo are not approved universities.

• 2 weeks later...

Local Singapore banks will only provide $4,000 for the entire year, which is barely half of the tuition coverage. 

I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue on this forum. Maybe it's really that USA-centric? My 2nd year will be covered by the research scholarship it's this 1st year that i'm worried about. It's hard to believe that i cant just take out a $10,000 loan from SOMEWHERE.

• 3 weeks later...

I got US loans for my masters in the UK. There was a list of places both in and out of the US on the FAFSA website that accept US Federal Aid (only the Direct Loans). A lot more places accept federal aid than you think, and a few are even listed under different names. IT sometimes helps to look at your institutions financial aid webpage, they might list if they accept US Direct Loans or not.