Kingston University CRMEP

bar_scene_gambler

I'm applying for schools in Fall 2014, and I was wondering if anyone here is attending or knows anything about the program. My interests are primarily in Existentialism (more specifically, Nietzsche, Sartre, and Camus) and Chinese Philosophy, and one of my professors pointed me in the direction of Kingston because one of the department's alumni is currently studying there. What's the program's reputation like, faculty quality, graduate environment, etc? Also, for the life of me, I can't find any financial aid info for international graduate students. Any information I can get about the program would be great.

The CRMEP is possibly the best 'Continental philosophy' program in the English speaking world. I applied to their MA program a few years ago and got accepted. Living in Canada, I had to try to cough up the international fees. The problem with the UK system is that their higher education fees are staggering, especially for international students. There isn't a lot of financial aid unfortunately. your best bet would be to win a Scholarship from your country and try put it towards studying in the UK. It's competitive but that's how it is.

As for the faculty, you have world renowned names: Peter Hallward (Badiou scholar and translator), Eric Alliez (Deleuze's student), Peter Osborne, Catherine Malabou (excellent Hegelian), Stella Stanford, and others. It's a politically left-wing program, with a lot of radical theoretical work being done. Depending on your research interests, you may also wish to look at U of Warwick's philosophy program, They have some excellent people who do work on Nietzsche, Deleuze, Heidegger, and Hegel.

Thank you so much for responding. I thought no one would reply. Since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about programs outside the US (where I'm from), I was wondering if you might be able to suggest other strong continental programs. The PGR is unreliable and my faculty aren't really familiar with programs outside of the US. And what exactly do you mean by "scholarship from my country"? The only one I can really think of would be the Fulbright. 

Well, I'm studying in Canada. University of Guelph has a great philosophy program, you may want to look there. It all really depends on what your research interests are. If you're set on working on Nietzsche, I am sure there are good Nietzsche scholars in the US.

Australia also has good programs, but again international fees are high and there is never enough funding. Your best bet would be to win a scholarship, which is easier said than done.

• 2 months later...

Also, for the life of me, I can't find any financial aid info for international graduate students. Any information I can get about the program would be great.

hey, it seems that their financial aid for international students is pretty paltry--3,500 pounds for a full-time, 1 year MA student.  most of the funding seems to go to EU/UK students...

Well, I'm studying in Canada. University of Guelph has a great philosophy program, you may want to look there. It all really depends on what your research interests are. If you're set on working on Nietzsche, I am sure there are good Nietzsche scholars in the US.

Australia also has good programs, but again international fees are high and there is never enough funding. Your best bet would be to win a scholarship, which is easier said than done.

any recommendations for canadian universities that specialize in or treat 20th century continental philosophy? particularly post-structuralism?

hey, it seems that their financial aid for international students is pretty paltry--3,500 pounds for a full-time, 1 year MA student.  most of the funding seems to go to EU/UK students...

Yeah, I talked to Peter Poellner about it. I'm working on getting a Fulbright to pay for my MA year.

any recommendations for canadian universities that specialize in or treat 20th century continental philosophy? particularly post-structuralism?

McGill (not much post-structuralism, though), Toronto, and Guelph are all that spring to mind. Memorial is just starting up a PhD program, and it's specialized in "continental". And for the MA, there's Concordia.