Statement of Purpose for Summer Class

As a graduate student, I am enrolling in a summer language class in order to work towards meeting the program's language requirements. I thought the process would be as simple as registering for the class, since it is only a 200 level class to begin with, but the program requires me to submit a statement of purpose before enrolling. Has anyone had to do this for a class before? I understand having to do this for an 800 level class, but writing it for a class that I am only taking because I have to is proving difficult. Any tips?

Is this essay a formality or is this class competitive so you need to invest serious effort into this? Could you (informally) ask around? If the class is required, I bet this is just a formality. In case it's a serious requirement, I'd stick to the bare essentials - you need to take this class to fulfill a language requirement; you work on X, specifically on X.1 and X.2 and you will need the language skills to do Y and Z and work on question X.3. I don't think you need to be too imaginative here.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this essay a formality or is this class competitive so you need to invest serious effort into this? Could you (informally) ask around? If the class is required, I bet this is just a formality. In case it's a serious requirement, I'd stick to the bare essentials - you need to take this class to fulfill a language requirement; you work on X, specifically on X.1 and X.2 and you will need the language skills to do Y and Z and work on question X.3. I don't think you need to be too imaginative here.

Thanks fuzzylogician! I followed your advice and was accepted into the class. I guess it was just a formality, I am glad I didn't spend all day working on it.