Cornell's CIPA

d08

Can someone tell me more about this program? I understand that its about fit, but if anybody has more info that will help me back an informed decision about the program it will be great.

And if there are any current students, or people that are going to attend the program, why CIPA?

I visited CIPA before I applied and I am considering attending, so maybe I can help with some pros/cons?

Pros:

*Being part of Cornell-- "brand name" recognition, amazing and accomplished alumni network, professors at the top of their fields

*CIPA is wholly interdisciplinary. Beyond the core classes, you can take classes throughout the university in any of the schools (Engineering, Industrial & Labor Relations, etc.) and with professors who will work to integrate their interests with yours

*Opportunity to spend a semester in DC or abroad

*I met with their Professional Development person and he seemed to be on his game at getting students internships and jobs. The places CIPA alum are hired are impressive

*Opportunities to gain practical experience with a class that does real consulting work. The woman who ran this talked a lot about how local organizations seek them out.

Cons:

*Ithaca. Could be a pro in some ways as it seemed a very progressive, academically-focused community. But it's not DC.

*Program isn't ranked as highly as others (Upon visiting and speaking with professors/staff/students I realized just how arbitrary these rankings can be)

*Not part of a "School of Public Affairs" but rather an "Institute"

I hope that helps. I guess what it boils down to for me is that Cornell a) gave me quite generous funding; B) i really like the TRUE flexibility/interdisciplinary approach; c) High quality faculty and general feel of the student body on campus was very positive.

The people at CIPA were incredibly nice and really willing to chat. I'd recommend calling them if you have more specific questions.

I second saisonsaparis' sentiments. CIPA was one of many programs I visited during the application process and I found the "institute" to be a program on the rise. Relatively speaking, it's a younger program and, for some, the concept of a multi-disciplinary approach is a turn-off. The location will make the networking game harder, but Thomas O'Toole (the program's professional development coordinator) seems to be a PRO at the task of helping students set up internships and find jobs. I was very impressed by him, as I was with everyone at CIPA.

I'm ultimately deciding between Penn, Cornell and Hopkins. Cornell, like Penn and Harvard, has a billion different schools within the university at which one can cross-enroll. To me, this is very intriguing. The core faculty at Cornell is second to none and their accomplishments within the field will leave your mouth agape. The current director seems to be dead-set on taking CIPA to the top. They: fund most students very well, have programs in Nepal, D.C. and Rome, have numerous professional activities (like "The Current", a student-run publication), foster a warm and collegial atmosphere, seem to be stepping to the fore in the policy world, and seek to create a very culturally-diverse class.

If I do choose Cornell, I'll be looking away from Brown (no funding), Chicago (little funding), SIPA (nada), Tufts (part-tuition), Penn (some funding), Hopkins (funding info to come??) and Harvard Grad. School of Ed. (Ed. Policy). And this is a very likely prospect.

Early on, I was skeptical of CIPA b/c of the rankings issue. But, after visiting Cornell and nearly a dozen others, it became clear to me that the rankings merit little merit. For example, while G-Town is probably a phenomenal program, I was so unimpressed by the admissions director and the prof. on whose class I sat in, that I left disgusted and chose not to apply. d08, I wish you luck with your decision and you can PM me if you want more info. I attended CIPA's admitted students day and visited them solo twice.

Has anyone began thinking about living in Ithaca?

I am thinking tonight of my old college town

I am dreaming of days that are flown

Of the joys and the strife of my old college life--

Ah, those days were the best I have known.

http://www.alumni.cornell.edu/cornelliana/songs/mp3/Cornell%20University%20Glee%20Club%20-%20Songs%20of%20Cornell%20-%2009%20-%20Alumni%20Song.mp3

I was wondering how important it is for you to be a "School of Public Affairs" rather than an "Institute." Also how important is it for the school to be apart of the APSA (I forgot the correct acronym). How will that effect my career prospects and is the school trying to be accredited anytime soon?

Did anyone discuss how easy is it to be able to take classes in Rome, Nepal or DC? Do you have to be in a certain career track?

I am also interested in CIPA to do a joint degree later. Was anybody able to here some interesting statistics about the program?

Thanks for all the great feedback so far.

Also if we want to attend CIPA how fast do we have to secure our dorm/apartment. Where are the best places to live on campus? I saw that they have some graduate housing are those more desirable than looking for apartments. Are any apartments outside of the college housing furnished?

Also if we want to attend CIPA how fast do we have to secure our dorm/apartment. Where are the best places to live on campus? I saw that they have some graduate housing are those more desirable than looking for apartments. Are any apartments outside of the college housing furnished?

On campus graduate housing consists of a large condos complex on the absolute most northern part of North Campus (unless you were a law student, which means you could literally live in the law school at its residential college). I lived on campus all 4 years and none of my friends' apartments were furnished (save a beer pong table or couch deposited by the previous residents).

A few things: I definitely agree that CIPA is a program on the rise and that of any program I've encountered CIPA has the most potential to grow and become a top program. The Director is an amazingly accomplished man and incredibly dedicated to CIPA and harnessing the potential that its situation within Cornell University gives it.

I don't know if I am correct in saying this but I think the "Institute" rather than "School" of public affairs is due in part to the program's relative youth. From what I gathered this has not at all impacted career placement of alumni.

The students I talked to indicated that if you express an interest in spending a semester away from Ithaca on one of their programs that it is easy and encouraged. They also said that summer internships in DC can be extended through the fall or spring internships extended through the summer which is a plus. They mentioned that there are opportunities for funding to travel to Nepal or Rome should you elect to participate in the program.

As far as housing, most grad students said they live off campus and there are many furnished apartments throughout the area and a pretty good (?) bus system. Look into this website: http://www.dos.cornell.edu/dos/ocho/

Plenty of off-campus housing is furnished; this is a college-town, after all, full of kids who move every year. Yes, do check out the link to the OCHO above.

The bus-system is all right. It's not amazing, but it's pretty good for a town of this size.

do8, good question! In fact, I've been wondering the same thing. I suppose I should contact the program director (Lewis) and ask, but I'd much rather hear the "inside scoop" from current and/or former students. Anyone out there know about research assistantships???

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. I don't know if you've received an answer to this yet (your post was a while ago). I have accepted an offer at CIPA but emailed one of the current fellows to ask about working at the Uni. She said that assistantships are around for CIPA students but only a handful are successful in their first year. It's very competitive. However, for 2nd year students you've got a much better chance. It's pretty easy to get an admin job at the uni though. Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Cornellians!

Congratulations on your admissions!

I've recently joined CIPA, for the MPA (Fall 2009).

Who is planning to live in Maplewood? Let's keep in touch!

By the way, how long should one wait to receive the NetID? I've beeen waiting for almost one month, and still no result.

Hi Cornellians!

By the way, how long should one wait to receive the NetID? I've beeen waiting for almost one month, and still no result.

A bit off topic I know and I am sorry that I can't answer your question; but Ruslan has got to be one of my favorite names!

Hi Cornellians!

I'm still searching for housing. I wanted to live in Schuyler since its near Collegetown. I'm probably going to live off campus if I can't find anything in Collegetown.

Also Ruslan you should be getting your NetID soon. I received mine weeks ago. I think you should contact someone if you are still waiting on it.

What are you interested in studying?

Hi everybody! :)

FSIA, well, it's sort of very pleasing offtopic :) Thanks for that :)

d08, actually, I wanted to live in Schuyler either, but they assigned me to Maplewood. Little bit far from the central campus, but never mind. At least, Maplewood has many interesting places around.

Regarding the NetID - I've contacted the helpdesk, they told almost the same - I should wait. Maybe the delay is because of the distance - I live slightly far from Ithaca. :) And from the US as well...

d08, I plan to concentrate on Science and Technology policy in frames of my MPA program. Frankly speaking, that was the main reason I preferred Cornell over NYU. And you, d08? What are ypu planning to concentrate on?

BTW, I've been reading the CIPA Foundation courses - they are fantastic! Choosing three from dozens interesting courses - that'll be a problem :)

I will be attending CIPA in the fall as well. I have already received my netid, and I decided to accept my on-campus housing assignment- which is Maplewood. I have heard some disparaging remarks about the Wood, but it seems to be relatively close and reasonably priced, especially considering its rent includes all utilities. I will probably split a house with some other CIPA people next year instead of living on campus. I am excited to get to work, I intend to concentrate in Environmental Policy.

hi Demetrios!

Cool, so we'll be neighbors :)

Btw, who knows, are there any dedicated forums/social network groups/chats where newcomers can get acquainted to their future fellows? I'd talk with pleasure..

Hi everybody! :)

d08, actually, I wanted to live in Schuyler either, but they assigned me to Maplewood. Little bit far from the central campus, but never mind. At least, Maplewood has many interesting places around.

Regarding the NetID - I've contacted the helpdesk, they told almost the same - I should wait. Maybe the delay is because of the distance - I live slightly far from Ithaca. :) And from the US as well...

d08, I plan to concentrate on Science and Technology policy in frames of my MPA program. Frankly speaking, that was the main reason I preferred Cornell over NYU. And you, d08? What are ypu planning to concentrate on?

BTW, I've been reading the CIPA Foundation courses - they are fantastic! Choosing three from dozens interesting courses - that'll be a problem :)

My concentrate will be on Finance and Fiscal Policy.

I just emailed housing if I could be assigned to Maplewood. I will know within a week if i have been assigned. Hopefully I get in. I originally only applied to Schuyler, but after looking at different options currently available I don't think that Maplewood will be that bad anymore. I'm going to ask my friends that attend Cornell what they know about Maplewood. Most of them might not know about it since they are undergrads.

Demetrios2011, what type of "disparaging remarks" have you heard about Maplewood?

hi Demetrios!

Cool, so we'll be neighbors :)

Btw, who knows, are there any dedicated forums/social network groups/chats where newcomers can get acquainted to their future fellows? I'd talk with pleasure..

Demetrios, Ruslan, congrats! I did an MEng in Cornell back in 01-02 and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it! Maplewood is not that bad although it will be far away from CIPA which I gather is near the school of ILR? There's a nice little community center where I used to spend most of my lunch breaks eating and watching TV at the same time :) Downside of the Wood as you call it is that it's a little old and some of the rooms can be a little run down (that was my impression 7 years ago), so I can only imagine the state it is in now, unless of course they've done some renovations recently. Not sure abt that though.

In any case I know you guys will have a great time over there - look out for activities at the Big Red Barn! Gd luck to you guys and treasure your days in Cornell!!