Writing Samples/SOPs

analogue

I'm applying for schools this Fall and could really look at previous years' successful applicants SOPs and/or writing samples for guidance and inspiration. If anybody is ready to share, I would be thankful immensely! Needless to say, you shouldn't worry about confidentiality/plagiarism etc. 

This forum is kind of a ghost town right now. I'm not sure what kind of response you're going to get. Have you tried looking for samples elsewhere? I know there's sample SOP's out there. Writing samples might be a bit more difficult, but I get the feeling that there isn't really a generic writing sample, it's just supposed to be your best work that you've done so far (whatever that means). I'd be interested in knowing if you get any replies though. 

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Well, haven't had any replies yet. And since there aren't as many SOP's on the web as one would expect I have really high hopes for this thread. In the worst case scenario, I might just stalk current grad students and ask them for their SOP's directly :D  

I'm in the same place as you, bar_scene_gambler, only I don't particularly like any of the few I'm choosing from. Are you going to submit different writing samples for the different schools or are you going to choose one throughout?

Well my situation is a little interesting. I'm interested in both Existential (to use an awful umbrella term) philosophy and Chinese philosophy, and so I'm dividing up my applications between the two areas of interest. I think for the schools that I'm applying to for their Chinese philosophy concentration, I'll be submitting a comparative work I did on Kant's Ethics and the Tao Te Ching, but for the continental programs, it's a bit of a toss up. It's probably going to be either a paper on Cavell on Knowing and Acknowledging or my senior thesis, which is on "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". I'm a little concerned about submitting my thesis though, because of its length more than anything else. What are your works on?

Edited by bar_scene_gambler