Statistics PhD programs on the West Coast

lwww

Hi all,

I'm an international applicant thinking of applying to statistics PhD programs in the U.S. or Canada.

Does anyone have any advice on the relative merits of the different programs on the West Coast (including British Columbia)? I'd prefer to live there for personal reasons.

I know Berkeley, Stanford and Washington are some of the very best programs overall, but chances of getting in there are low. So I'm especially interested in any solid "mid-tier" schools where my chances might be a bit higher.

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm an international applicant thinking of applying to statistics PhD programs in the U.S. or Canada.

Does anyone have any advice on the relative merits of the different programs on the West Coast (including British Columbia)? I'd prefer to live there for personal reasons.

I know Berkeley, Stanford and Washington are some of the very best programs overall, but chances of getting in there are low. So I'm especially interested in any solid "mid-tier" schools where my chances might be a bit higher.

Thanks.

UCLA also has a solid Stats program. The other UC's besides Berkeley and LA have decent programs (Davis, Irvine, etc.) but they are smaller and not as reputable. I'm not sure about Canadian programs but I heard UBC is also worth a look.

Edited by Shostakovich