Recommendations on schools?

philstudent1991

3.9 GPA (4.0 in philosophy) coming from a big state school, will have great LORs and writing sample, GRE will probably be in the 320-322 range (90th + percentile V, 70ish percentile Q). Interests are ethics and continental. Terminal MA and PhD programs. I'm definitely looking for ranked schools. not Harvard or NYU or anything, but competitive schools with good placement. any thoughts? Thanks guys

AH! A fellow lover of Nietzsche! I'm doing my thesis on identity in "Thus Spoke Zarathustra". Anyway, tomjonesy517 and I have been talking on the other thread, and I think that I've come to the conclusion that you should apply to a mix of PGR ranked programs (just because they have better graduate placement and more resources and such) and heavily continental schools. I like the idea of keeping my options open. tomjonesy517 suggested Fordham and Stony Brook to me, and I think those are definitely good options, but I'm also applying to traditionally analytic programs with some good Nietzsche scholars sprinkled in. Kathleen Higgins is wonderful, and she's at UT Austin, a highly ranked program on the PGR. Also, U College London has a few Nietzsche and Sartre people. 

I think it's also important to have in mind that the way Nietzsche is handled in continental v. analytic schools is very different. People talk about there being no true difference between analytic v. continental, but the effacement of actual differences is just another way of silencing particular modes of thought as poorly done. See: http://fordham.bepress.com/phil_babich/6/

It's also important to keep in mind that you want to be surrounded by people who aren't going to ridicule your major interests. There are some topics you can touch in the analytic appropriation of Nietzsche, and some that will get you laughed at.

Edited by tomjonesy517

tomjonesy517: I recognize that in some places that particular areas of study will be considered laughable, but at the same time, I honestly don't buy into the analytic/continental distinction, much like I don't believe that the word "existentialism" means anything. Obviously philosophers care about different topics and are going to approach philosophical problems in different ways, but I want that in a program. I don't want to shy away from difference. And I definitely don't want my beliefs to be coddled by an environment where everybody agrees in the same general interpretations. I want to be challenged, because I do philosophy best when my opinions are challenged harshly.

philstudent: Yeah, I'm looking at PhD's right now. My list is in the other thread. I can repost it here if you'd like. My interests are broad though, so my list is really mixed right now. Have you read anything by Higgins? I just finished her book, "Nietzsche's Zarathustra" for my thesis research and I think it's brilliantly done. Also, I've had the opportunity to speak with her via email, and she's incredibly nice and helpful and really knows her stuff. She said she isn't planning on retiring anytime soon, which is good, but also warned me that she's one of two continental-leaning professors there, so she's sort of an island unto herself.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

I tried to start the thread as a way for fall 2014 applicants to see each other's academic profiles and get school recommendations and application advice, but there aren't many fall 2014 applicants here yet. I think it's probably a bit early. The forum has been a ghost town for weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want competitive programs with strong placement and who respect continental figures by hiring strong faculty who work in those areas, my suggestions would be: U Chicago, Riverside, Georgetown, and Boston University.

Although I've posted asking for recommendations for schools on another thread, I'll give a bit more detailed info and ask again here. My primary interest is in contemporary work on/appropriations of Kant and Hegel in epistemology and philosophy of mind. I also like work on them on their own merits (Pippin, Sedgwick, etc). Beyond Kant and Hegel, I have a more general interest in German philosophy, from Herder and Schleiermacher to Marx and Nietzsche, Heidegger, Wittgenstein.

Somewhat relatedly, I have an interest in Sellars and related folks like Davidson, Rorty, Brandom, McDowell, and a bit more distant people like Strawson and Evans.

I also have an interest in philosophy of film, particularly along the lines of Cavell. But I wouldn't make this a requirement for my willingness to attend a grad school; rather, it'd be a nice thing for a school to have.

Any recommendations?

isostheneia—

I'd recommend U Chicago (Pippin on Hegel, Leiter on Nietzsche, and they got a Pitt school philosophy contingent there), Riverside (Wrathall on Heidegger, Clark on Nietzsche, Keller on Kant/Hegel, Reath on Kant), Pittsburgh (Brandom and McDowell on Sellars and themselves), Georgetown (Lance/Kukla on Brandom/Sellars, Blattner on Heidegger).

I'd also suggest considering GSU excellent master's program, as they have faculty working primarily on Kant (Wilson), Hegel (Rand), Nietzsche (Berry/Moore), and Herder (Moore).

Edited by Narziss

• 3 weeks later...

I'd echo the suggestions of looking at Chicago, Riverside, and Georgetown, and add Northwestern, McGill and Chicago-Illinois. You'll have to trawl through all the homepages for PGR-ranked departments to see which have what you want, but that's a start, at least. Ethics + Continental is something of a difficult combination, department-wise. But that's a good thing, since it'll help narrow things down and ensure a better fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I would like to know what you think of my profile and which programs would be a good fit for me. I'm looking for Ph.D. programs in Philosophy in the US. I'm interested in continental aesthetics. Some of my favorite thinkers would be Adorno, Nietzsche and Kant. I won't tell which programs I found interesting not to influence your recommendations.

Profile: as I am from Argentina, I can't say what my GPA is in the same terms as you do: mine is 9.56 out of 10. I have 2 peer-reviewed publications, 6 non peer-reviewed publications, 9 conference papers. LOR from internationally unknown professors, though I expect them to be really good.

What do you think? Thank you!!

• 4 weeks later...

surlefil - could you be more specific about your interests?

also, although I'm familiar with work on Kant and Nietzsche, I'm unfamiliar with Adorno. Riverside might be a good fit but I fear that some public/state schools can't provide funding for foreign students who can't establish residency within one year... unfortunately... so make sure to check their funding pages.

Hi folks, 

I certainly don't mean to hijack this thread from philstudent1991 and others, but I've been lurking on this forum for the past month or so and I thought I'd put myself out there. I am applying to programs this fall, but am honestly unsure of my chances anywhere. I'll tell a bit about myself and the programs I am interested in, any feedback you all could offer would be very much appreciated!

As of now, I plan on applying to almost all MA programs, as I believe that the MA route will be the best route for me given my situation. I graduated in 2012 from a top 30 USNWR liberal arts school with honors in philosophy. I wrote an honors thesis (on Wittgenstein on religious language) and won an award for being the best philosophy major that year. I also had a paper accepted at an undergraduate conference. I know that that is not worth much, but hopefully it's at least some evidence that I am halfway-decent when it comes to philosophical writing. 

My GPA is on the lower-end: only a 3.51 overall and a 3.64 in the philosophy major. I do have a mostly upward trend; by my senior year I was getting As in upper level philosophy courses. I also got an A in an upper level phil. course at a good department in Scotland, where I studied abroad for a semester during my junior year. My letters should speak highly of me, as I got to know all of my professors very well. I have yet to take the GRE. 

My list of programs at the moment includes Georgia State, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Brandeis, Virginia Tech, San Francisco State, Colorado State, Western Michigan, and Texas A&M, among possible others. I fully admit that this list is based on the MA programs Leiter recommends; if anyone has any information re: these schools and the admissions process that might be helpful, I would love to hear from you. I know that these MA programs can be very competitive as well -- if there are other MA programs that Leiter doesn't mention, but might be worth exploring, I am very much open to suggestions. 

I believe that the MA route makes sense for me for a variety of reasons. One is that I simply don't think I would stand any chance of getting into a PhD program without further showing that I am capable of doing quality graduate work in philosophy. Another is that I have very wide-ranging interests and am unsure of what I might want to specialize in. My interests include: Wittgenstein, Hume, epistemology, philosophy of science, philosophical logic, philosophy of religion, the theory of value, among others. More background in some of these areas would serve me well. A third reason is that I realized I want to do philosophy relatively recently. I just finished my 1L year at a top 30 law school and absolutely hated it. I've made the decision to leave law school, and I'm doubtful that a legal career is right for me. I believe that philosophy is where I belong given my interests and abilities; had I known that about myself earlier on, my undergraduate track record might not be so rocky. My law school grades were also not very good -- I have heard that this wouldn't be too much of a problem, but I understand that it doesn't do me any favors. This is unfortunate, seeing as my actual philosophy grades are not as high as I would like them to be. 

I apologize for the long post, and again, hope the OP doesn't mind me throwing my hat into the ring as well. If anyone has any comments they'd like to offer, I welcome any and all feedback. Looking forward to interacting and commiserating with everyone here in the months to come! 

Hey frege-bombs,

So my opinion on MA programs is that you ought to try to get into a program that has a great placement record with good PhD programs. In that regard, your list is pretty good. I don't have any other programs to add to it (and I'm trying to get into a few of those programs myself). Any GRE scores? Publications? Other pertinent experience?

You really don't need publications to get in anywhere.  It's pretty extraneous and not taken seriously, unless it is actually in a top philosophy journal, which would be extremely unusual.  

The best indication, in order of importance, is just sample, letters, and gpa with school of origin taken into consideration.