MFA - deferment with possible funding, or (something else)

mostlygoo

Just throwing this out there because I'm a little stuck at the moment, and figured it wouldn't hurt to get other opinions.  At least I don't think it would hurt.

The situation: I've applied to several MFA (writing) programs with rolling admissions, to begin next winter/spring.  I was not really expecting to get into any fully funded program, but I was looking for at least a little assistance, and then figured I'd spread the cost a bit and go part time.  I was looking mostly at low-residency programs, but I also applied at American (here in DC), which is full residency.

Anyway, I started hearing back, so far 2/2 with acceptances, which is nice.  In one case, there's a good chance for at least partial funding.  In the other case... that's where it gets tough.  The other school is American.  It's very close to where I live.  I like the school a lot and have great respect for the program.  The director emailed me yesterday saying no decision had yet been made on my application, but that I seemed to be a great fit.  However (he went on), after looking at my writing sample, he wanted me to consider deferring the application until next year, when I'd be under consideration for a (fully funded) merit scholarship.  No guarantees of anything, he just wanted to throw that out there.

Which is great, and I appreciate it... but it doesn't give me a lot of information with which to make a decision.  If I decide to wait it out, seems like I'm basically giving up on the other programs I've applied to -- I'd probably have to re-apply to all of them if I wanted to be re-considered.  Is it possible to ask for a conditional deferment?  (Thanks for the admissions offer, can I wait nine months to decide and start six months late?)

There are a lot of variables at play, so it's not just about funding, or just about the specifics of the program.  Cost matters but it's not everything -- except in this one case, it's pretty much everything.  Because I can't go into this program unless there's a great deal of funding involved.

So it's just the uncertainty that is going to make this tough for me.  I expected (or maybe hoped) to have to make a decision between programs, and to consider trade-offs of locations vs. funding vs. faculty, etc.  I just didn't think I'd have to make a decision about whether to put everything else on hold, just in case this pans out.

Any thoughts or strategies?  I've thought about calling the director of the program on Monday to talk with him a bit, but I'm not sure how much flexibility he has with the funding, or if he can tell me anything other than what he's already told me.  

So I think I'll reply.

I decided it was dumb to ignore the possibility of funding.  And if I didn't think I could get into a program at all, or if I thought deferring would risk any chance I had of securing a spot in any program, then this wasn't the right path for me in the first place.  

I went back and told American I wanted to hold off and wait until merit/admission decisions were made early next year.   That being settled, I reached out to the other programs to which I'd already applied, and asked if I could just have my application put on hold until the beginning of next year, and explained my reasons.  Two days later I got a call from one of the programs, saying I'd been accepted, and offering me a pretty wonderful funding package.  I don't know if that had anything to do with me basically pulling my application.  Maybe I would've gotten that call anyway. 

So I don't know what the lesson is.  Trust yourself, maybe.  Plan your application process better than I did.  And then just let the universe tell you what's what, and go from there.