Converting MS to PhD

abcd1

Hello,

I am about to start my masters in biology and wanted to know if it is possible or normal for a student to convert a thesis based ms degree into a phd at US universities. I will certainly ask this question from my advisor soon but just wanted some general feedback for now.

First a little background. I always wanted to go for Phd but because I have a bachelors degree completed unrelated to biology and have got a scholarship for masters, I decided to go the ms route. Since I have already wasted a lot of time and am getting a little overage I am thinking that completing an ms in 2 years and then a phd in 4 to 5 years is a bit too long. What I therefore want to know is:

- Is it possible for me to convert my ms thesis to phd so I can save a couple of years?

- Does this usually happen at the beginning of the ms or after the completion of ms degree?

- If I dont covert and go for phd after completing ms will some of my credits be transferred to reduce the duration of the phd?

I was wondering if I should discuss this with my advisor right away or wait a semester or two . If anyone has any experience of doing this I would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks  

• 3 weeks later...

This likely depends on your department. If you secure 3 years of funding (e.g., through a fellowship), it is not uncommon to convert. If you know you want a Ph.D. and you want it as fast as possible, I don't think there's much of a reason to get the MS.

Edited by Jimbo2

• 4 weeks later...

Talking to a previous Chemistry Department Chair, I learned that an M.S. usually does not waive classes for a Ph.D. Talking to a doctoral candidate in biochemistry, I learned that his M.S. did little for his Ph.D. education. I do find it conceivable to finish a Ph.D. earlier if you work in the same lab, and have your research going on for a few years, then you may publish sooner.

• 1 month later...

I know a few people that switched to a PhD program.  At the time I was an MSc student and a little envious, thinking how they would finish their PhD so early.

To be honest, I'm glad I did my MSc - no sour grapes!  I got a couple papers out of it, different experiences (different lab, methodologies, specialties, supervisors, etc.), built important connections, and matured a lot as a researcher.

Don't be hung up on shaving off time.  Enjoy your MSc and see where it leads.  You may want to purse a PhD in a different area with a brand new supervisor at a different school. 

Yes, when you finish your PhD most employers will only care about those three letters on your CV, but that is not the whole point of education.  See how the first year goes.