Art History Program Selection

Dia Alam

Hi guys,

I have been out of school for the last three years, and felt it was high time that I return for graduate studies. I want to start looking into programs for medieval art, but I am utterly confused as to how I should go about my research. Can anyone give me any starter tips, some way that I can kick start this lengthy process? I would greatly appreciate it. 

​Thanks!

Hi guys,

I have been out of school for the last three years, and felt it was high time that I return for graduate studies. I want to start looking into programs for medieval art, but I am utterly confused as to how I should go about my research. Can anyone give me any starter tips, some way that I can kick start this lengthy process? I would greatly appreciate it. 

​Thanks!

Hi Diam Alam! I certainly am not the authority on finding the perfect program, especially because I have yet to decide on mine, but I thought I'd share a few things that have helped me while I've been searching. I made a big excel sheet listing a ton of schools (mostly results of google searches "art history grad programs", or schools recommended by peers, mentors, professors, etc.)... then I made columns of aspects of a program that are really important to me (Location, Tuition, POI, Fellowships Available, Graduation Rates, Class Size, etc.). As I check out each of the programs on their websites I filled in the columns, and highlighted results that got me really intrigued. If I read a few aspects that really did not line up with my goals, I just deleted the program all together. I had a bunch of programs with a ton of highlights, and now that I'm down to about 15 programs, I've been reading up on the POI's (even visiting ratemyprofessor.com) and any of their work I can find. I've also been checking out some of the class descriptions.

Not sure if that's helpful for you, but it helped me pin down all of the information flyin around in my brain! Good luck with your research and application process : )

• 3 weeks later...

The CAA has made their directory of Art History programs (and similar programs: museum studies, arts administration, etc.) available online as a search. Just look for what you'll like: https://services.collegeart.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=CAA_Dir_SearchDir. It's very very simple now! 

Thanks guys! I'll start my research now, hope it's not too late to start my initial list of schools... What do you think?
@Mocha, thanks for the website! Will definitely put that into good use. 

I'll come back with more questions! Muhahahahaha!

The CAA has made their directory of Art History programs (and similar programs: museum studies, arts administration, etc.) available online as a search. Just look for what you'll like: https://services.collegeart.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?WebCode=CAA_Dir_SearchDir. It's very very simple now! 

Nice resource!