MFA for FREE: TA, Stipend, Scholarship, etc.

mmmh

Where are the well-funded MFA programs in studio art (painting, sculpture, interdisciplinary art, photography, etc)?

I should have posted this question here before I applied...

Compared to other programs, funding opportunities for MFA studio art students seem rather limited. My friends doing their MAs and phDs in literature studies, anthropology, engineering and others got full-tuition coverage + something like 18K - 30K/year stipends. crazy. some get more than what I get working several part-time jobs. I know these are just fortunate cases and it's not an easy thing to get into a well-funded program regardless of fields. This is my first year applying to grad school and I applied to ones where I might be able to receive decent financial support, in addition to a few super famous schools just to see if I could get in.

Money is a sensitive issue, and some might feel uncomfortable sharing all the details, but let us hear what you got, heard or found.

I got into Penn State University with full tuition + $6000/year stipend.

Also, I found an article on university funding for MFA in writing here. sounds better...

http://www.pw.org/content/show_me_money ... a_programs

which program or discipline did you apply for? I looked at their photo department and i was really unimpressed. Which...may mean that i would not have trouble getting in if i applied next year but where is the balance? I would like a great school with stipends and tuition wavers :) I was told that Arizona state, and U. of New Mexico offer at least tuition wavers. I was also looking at university of nevada las vegas and i know they do the same.

which program or discipline did you apply for? I looked at their photo department and i was really unimpressed. Which...may mean that i would not have trouble getting in if i applied next year but where is the balance? I would like a great school with stipends and tuition wavers :) I was told that Arizona state, and U. of New Mexico offer at least tuition wavers. I was also looking at university of nevada las vegas and i know they do the same.

this is exactly the method of how i decided to apply to schools this time around, which seems to have worked even for the more competitive ones (so part of me is chuckling a bit). Don't drop all the competitive one's from your list next time around, because you may find out they are a lot more interested in you again. I think lowering the standards somehow makes the application stronger these days...

Thanks for responding, everyone.

I think the quality at Penn State varies from department to department. Personally I chose it because I think the sculpture faculty is quite strong. I don't think there is much of a point in going to a school who's faculty doesn't interest you, even if it is free. I would agree that you should set your aim high.

Where are the well-funded MFA programs in studio art (painting, sculpture, interdisciplinary art, photography, etc)?

I should have posted this question here before I applied...

Compared to other programs, funding opportunities for MFA studio art students seem rather limited. My friends doing their MAs and phDs in literature studies, anthropology, engineering and others got full-tuition coverage + something like 18K - 30K/year stipends. crazy. some get more than what I get working several part-time jobs. I know these are just fortunate cases and it's not an easy thing to get into a well-funded program regardless of fields. This is my first year applying to grad school and I applied to ones where I might be able to receive decent financial support, in addition to a few super famous schools just to see if I could get in.

Money is a sensitive issue, and some might feel uncomfortable sharing all the details, but let us hear what you got, heard or found.

I got into Penn State University with full tuition + $6000/year stipend.

Also, I found an article on university funding for MFA in writing here. sounds better...

http://www.pw.org/content/show_me_money ... a_programs

I just found out that CCA is offering me $10,500 per year in scholarship. The scholarship covers 1/3 of the tuition costs, that still leaves me with $40k in debt. It's a decent scholarship, but I wish it were more. If I get into Hunter, I'll be going there over CCA, primarily due to the cost. Does anyone know how useful it is to try and negotiate on scholarship? To tell the school, "if you can't offer me more, I need to go to __ instead"?

• 1 month later...

How can i get scholarship for my study abroad program in Switzerland for development studies course? I am selected for a study abroad program through world learning to Switzerland. I am from Nepal and I am not able to afford the cost of the program. Therefore, i am looking for the scholarship.

keyword research ~ keyword tool ~ keyword tracking ~ affiliate elite