I know what I want - the question is - where will I find this?

ajphotoman

Here's my wish-list: 

MFA - Studio Arts - Integrated Program 

• I want a program with an emphasis on Photo 

which allows me to do classes in  - 

• Print making
  • Design 
  • Philosophy
  • Drawing
  • Painting
  • Film 
  • Creative Writing (Fiction) 
Any ideas/comments/suggestions as to which one would make more sense if I want to teach afterwards? 

Also - In my 10 months of research - I've found there are basically 2 types of MFA Visual Arts - 
practical / technical ones
or 
the more 'cerebral' ones that concentrate on theory and critical studies

Agree? Disagree?
Edited by ajphotoman

It sounds like you want an interdisciplinary program. But you want to focus on photo. It' sort of a thing where you have to choose between the two. 

By film, do you mean cinema or fine arts film?

What kind of design? Graphic design? Architecture? Industrial design? Fashion?

Philosophy and creative writing means you want a University. Saic and UCLA hae interdisciplinary programs they are theory based though. 

Now, it seem's to me that, at least in fine art an mfa is theory based. Do you have a ba? If you don't, then it'd be better going for the bfa if technical skills is what you want.

It sounds like you want an interdisciplinary program. But you want to focus on photo. It' sort of a thing where you have to choose between the two. 

By film, do you mean cinema or fine arts film?

What kind of design? Graphic design? Architecture? Industrial design? Fashion?

Philosophy and creative writing means you want a University. Saic and UCLA hae interdisciplinary programs they are theory based though. 

Now, it seem's to me that, at least in fine art an mfa is theory based. Do you have a ba? If you don't, then it'd be better going for the bfa if technical skills is what you want.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply Douchamp

I HAVE been looking at Interdisciplinary programs. Do any schools leap out - given my set of priorities? 

By film I meant - narrative + fiction+ cinema. 

By design I meant - graphic design. I found my Design 2D class (during my last degree) THE most significant in sorting out my understanding about composition etc. 

I should have specified earlier where I'm coming from - 

BA - English Lit

AAS Photo

14 years as a commercial photographer - people centric work - advertising, editorial and film publicity. 

I want to teach immediately after the program - so another question is - which schools have graduates landing teaching jobs right after? 

which schools have graduates landing teaching jobs right after? 

teaching jobs are are usually granted to people from 'top' programs and/or top academic institutions that may or may not have a program ranked on the (extremely stupid and misleading) us news lists. if youre banking on teaching in academia afterwards, you might want to look into how incredibly unlikely it is for ANY new mfa to receive a position.

your criteria leads me to believe you should be at a university that allows you to take courses outside of your program. look into: usc, university of chicago, northwestern, cornell, yale, columbia, stanford, carnegie mellon, bard, upenn. 

if any are photo-heavy, youll probably have to inquire directly. from my experience, interdisciplinary programs adopt interdisciplinary models for a reason (and that reason is not to be photo-heavy)... most will have photographers on their faculty. 

oh, also, no interdisciplinary program is going to be more focused on practical/technical things than it is on theory and critical intellect.

oh, also, no interdisciplinary program is going to be more focused on practical/technical things than it is on theory and critical intellect.

Dear Aschelp,

Thank you so much for the reply. I see that you're also looking at an interdisciplinary program - at some of the finest schools. 

I applied last year to 3 big schools - did NOT get in - want to improve my chances this year - so taking a different approach. 

Here's some of my personal work...

Would love to hear what you think.

Are you saying that it is unrealistic - if not impossible - to pick up a teaching job straight out of school? I'm asking. Have been away from the US - and academia for 14 years. 

Aj
Edited by ajphotoman