Working while going to grad school far away from home

talons1025

I live and work in Chicago. I want to go to grad school in texas, so obviously I would have to quit my job and move. How does one work, live away from home, and go to grad school all at once?

It's possible to get a funded MA, but it's more likely that you'll need loans, or you could perhaps go part time do that you can work at the same time. For a research based Phd, you would try for funding which could/would cover tuition, fees, insurance, and/or stipends which means you wouldn't work. They don't typically want you to work (other than TA or other related positions) because you should be spending all your time academic-ing up.

Er, you just do. Kwest made some good points - try to find a funded program; there are funded Master's programs out there (I attended one), but I don't know of any off the top of my head in Texas. It is difficult to attend school and work at the same time - there are only so many hours in the day. I'm not so sure what you mean about living away from home & how that could be an issue, but that may be just me; you make friends with the folks in your cohort, and you keep going with your life.