Can you republish Proceedings

As the title states,

Is it okay to take an essay that was presented and published in the proceedings of a conference, revise it, and resubmit the new piece to a journal?

Would the new article require a disclaimer saying that an earlier form was already published in a conference's proceedings? Or, if the new paper is sufficiently different and expanded upon, can it function as a new, stand-alone paper?

Edited by comp12

In my field proceedings papers and not peer-reviewed and are usually 10-15 pages long. Journal papers are peer-reviewed and more like 30-40 pages long. What (really) counts as a publication, at least for jobs and tenure purposes, are only peer-reviewed publications. Proceedings papers are nice to have, if you don't have anything else, but they are not really highly regarded. It's a nice end-point for small side-projects but not for major contributions to the field. In my field, you can (and should) take your proceedings papers and turn them into journal papers, but usually some serious work is needed in order to go from one to the other. If you've accomplished that, then it shouldn't be a problem that there is a proceedings paper because although the journal paper will be based on it, it'll also be substantially different. I don't remember needing to even point out having a proceedings paper when submitting a journal paper about the same topic, but even if you are asked to, I don't think it would be a conflict. For your-field-specific advice, why don't you ask your advisor?