Do I have a shot at University of Pittsburgh's Applied Developmental Program?

LiveLaughLove772

Hey everyone! I'm currently about to enter my senior year of undergrad, at 21 years old. I will be obtaining two degrees when I graduate: a BS in biology and a BA in psychology (also completed a minor in chemistry). In order to get both degrees in 4 yrs, I have taken summer classes, and my regular semester credit hours have been 16+ hours. I want to pursue a Ph.D. in Applied Developmental Psychology at the University of Pittsburgh.

Here are my credentials:

-cumulative GPA: 3.76 (My GPA in my psych courses is a 4.0), and I have taken biology courses in anatomy, human physiology, along with organic and biochemistry courses and a full year of both physics and calculus
-currently on a full scholarship for my undergrad
-participate in Habitat for Humanity; involved in an annual homelessness awareness program; about a year volunteering in a pen pal program for underprivileged elementary schoolchildren; Relay for Life participant; member of Psi Chi, a honors psychology organization
-summer research in an endocrinology lab, working with rats
-performed data collection on two thesis projects last spring for two graduating seniors
-participated in Quest, where I presented some organic chemistry research with two other students
-job working as a peer tutor on campus
-research project with one of my professors, working with schoolchildren (if I continue this till I graduate next spring, I will get published)
-my senior thesis will involve working with schoolchildren (I also will be completing a capstone for my biology degree)
-I actually just took my GRE and I got 156V and 151Q (Pitt wants at least an 1100, and when I converted my scores to old scores, I have a 1200)
-I work part-time at kennel, and I have been there for the past 4 years

What are my chances and what can I do to improve? Pitt is my dream school :)

Cripes, when do you sleep?????

You've got applied research experience, which is good for any program; how many authorship credits do you have?

Lol, there were actually a few sleepless nights and days where I wanted to pull my hair out...I don't have any authorship credits, and I'm afraid that I don't have enough research experience. I'm also especially worried about my GRE scores.

I wouldn't panic about your GRE scores; the research-as-shown-in-authorship is the only thing that worries me a little. Any chance you can pick up an authorship credit? Even a poster presentation or two at a conference is better than nothing. Have you contacted your POI at Pitt yet?

I wouldn't panic about your GRE scores; the research-as-shown-in-authorship is the only thing that worries me a little. Any chance you can pick up an authorship credit? Even a poster presentation or two at a conference is better than nothing. Have you contacted your POI at Pitt yet?

Like I mentioned in my post, I will be working on a research project with one of my professors. She said that if I continue with the project throughout the year, my name will be published along with hers. And for my thesis project, I need to actually present at at least one conference in order to obtain honors credit for it (I'm trying to graduate with honors). I did present organic chemistry research at QUEST, and it was a poster presentation, my sophomore year. My worry is that the publication and my honors thesis won't occur until after I send in my application; they won't occur until Spring 2014 and my application is due in January. Will this hurt me in any way?....No, I have not contacted anyway. Could you give me some advice about how to go about doing that? Thank you!

If those conferences have accepted your work, you can put them on your CV with the presentation date; something to the effect of,

Work is Hard. Poster abstract accepted for presentation at the Jim Beam Bourbon Conference, Kentucky, 2014.

I'm guessing you know who you want to work with over at Pitt. A quick e-mail in mid-September (after the beginning-of-school crazies, in other words), something to the effect of, Hi, my name is mkoconnor, I'm very interested in your work, and would like to apply the grad program at Pittsburgh to work with you, specifically. Are you accepting students for Fall 2014 admission?

(I would send something similar to every school you're applying to; one of the folks I would have applied to at a certain school was not accepting students for Fall 2013 admission, and I wouldn't have known had I not asked; saved me the application fee, and the heartache of being rejected by that individual).

Your SOP may be the most important part of your application packet; do not overestimate its importance. It needs to clearly communicate why you are the best candidate and the best fit in the lab you're applying to. The first time I applied to grad schools, I applied to 10 PhD programs and 5 Master's programs; I interviewed at one PhD program, was wait-listed at another, and ended up attending a Master's program. My SOP this time around looked very different, and it made a huge difference; I also had two separate SOPs, one geared more towards the clinical programs, and one for the lifespan/developmental program; each of those were then tailored to the individual program, based on the POI at that university. Be specific. They're going to be reviewing potentially hundreds of people, all of whom did well in their classes, have good GRE scores, etc.; you need to make yourself stand out from that pack, in such a way that is professional (as in, don't make your subject headings purple; trust me, it happens), and such a way that they can't wait to talk to you.

Your reply was very helpful. I'll definitely keep all of that in mind. Thank you! I have another question....I'm also completing a bachelor's in biology. Will completing this degree and taking classes like organic chemistry, human physiology, anatomy, and other science classes like that give me a competitive edge or help me stand out?

.... possibly, but only insofar as it relates to Developmental. What's your focus within the Developmental realm? If the answer is something neuro- or bio- (or neurobio- ) related, then perhaps. The other way it could potentially help is if you pick up research experience in those fields, as, at some point, research is research, particularly if you get authorship credit.

• 3 weeks later...