profile evaluation - should i even bother applying for a phd?

ladypemberley

Hi, I've recently been trying to decide whether to apply for PhD programs or to pursue a MA/MSc degree first to up my chances. I don't know whether I'll be able to get into a PhD program for econ with my current stats. 

GPA: 3.27/4.00 (last year gpa: 3.9 - first years were disastrous) (from a top university in Turkey that isn't known worldwide)

Math Courses: Mainly C's and Bs. Last year Math electives: A+.

Research experience: Worked with a prof. at another university on a Math project - mainly using probability theory along with some game theory. Senior thesis: unpublished, but solid research on International Economics.

Teaching experience: none. i can gain some this year but it wont be in time for the applications 

GRE: practicing, i expect high scores.

The problem: My first years in school were terrible. I failed important courses like Calculus and Statistics. I have improved considerably since then (ever since I've decided to apply for grad school) but is it too late now? 

My questions are the following:

Should I even apply for a PhD in the US (I know I can't aim tier 1 schools but even for others)?

Or should I do a Master's degree in elsewhere and then apply for a PhD?

Europe-wise: Could I get into schools like LSE, Tilburg etc?

Thank you :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely worth applying.  You don't say how much math you've actually had, but your more recent classes will make up a great deal for your past classes.  My advice would be to find some mid-tier schools that have research interests that match your own, and write a great SOP about why you would be a good fit there.  Emphasise your research experience. 

At the worst, if you get rejected you might try contacting them and finding out what they thought were your strengths and weaknesses, and improving for the next cycle.  It's not unusual to try twice.