To Retake or Not to Retake the GRE..

Hi Everyone!

I'd been lurking for a bit here, but I thought I'd finally ask for some advice.  I registered twice for the GRE because I was worried about meeting the application deadlines and wasn't sure I'd do good the first time.  I got mine back and I had 166 V, 157 Q, and 5.0 Writing.  I am worried if I retake the GRE I'll do worse this time and it'll look bad, but I do want to pull up my quantitative. The thing is I'm not a super candidate; about a 3.5 overall GPA (3.6-3.7 in my majors), out-of-field applicant,  and I left (without completing) my Masters teaching licensure program last year to work full-time as a special education aide for the remainder of the year (and will be doing so again this year while taking slp prereqs).

So basically, is it a good idea to retake?  Or should I just get my partial refund and send these numbers in?

Where are you planning to apply?  Those GRE scores are super high for most programs.  From what I've read around here, it seems that a lot people just try to break a 300 combined score and obviously you're way above that.  If you're concerned about your GPA and other experience, I think it's a much better idea to NOT retake the GRE and instead spend that extra time making sure you are able to get stellar references and writing an outstanding SOP.  The GRE is just one piece of the application puzzle.  Hope that helps!

Edited by sayjo

Those scores are DEFINITELY above average, and I truly believe that it would be a waste of time for you to retake the GRE. I promise you that a 157 Q score will not be holding you back. 

I would not retake the GRE. Programs use the GRE as a cutoff, not a determining factor. So, a higher GRE won't necessarily make you a stronger applicant. The other aspects of your application are so much more important.