Teaching on both sides of the Atlantic

I've seen questions dealing with the issues surrounding crossing the Atlantic during one's academic career, but I'd like to raise a more specific dimension of it. I'm currently applying to MA programs (In the US and abroad), and I'm hoping to eventually pursue a doctorate in English Literature and teach. I've seen advice suggesting that it's best to earn your doctorate in the US if you'll be teaching there, or in the UK if you'll be working there - but in my case, I'd ideally like to work in both countries at different points in my career. Does anyone have any advice on this subject, and how to approach this?

I'm not sure about your field, but I was told that if you want to work in the U.S., you have greater chances with a U.S. PhD. I was also told (and know quite a few who have done this) people with U.S. PhD's are not hindered at all really when applying abroad. I know several colleagues of my advisor who have U.S. PhD's and have gone to Canada, the UK, Korea, and China without too many issues.